Trapshooter's 401 Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Trapshooter's 401 Build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Trapshooter's 401 Build

Well its time, the old 258 is burning to much oil and I've put off building the 401 long enough. Like TK Fireman's build, this is going to take a bit of time due the dollar and cents that will be needed to complete the project.

I purchased my core over two years ago and its been sitting in my garage ever since. Today I decided to get after the build.

The PO had already purchase a new Crower cam but at this point I'm not sure I will use it. The part number is 45915. I need to confer with my machine shop to see if this cam will work for my build. I want a low end torquer when I get done with this engine.

I didn't get the original intake and carb as the PO had sold the components to someone else. My plan is to install an Edelbrock intake and Holly Truck Avenger carb so I didn't care about not having the original parts.

After laying out all the pieces it was time to disassemble the remainder of the parts.

Here is a picture of what I have less the valve covers and the oil pan:

I took inventory and started to remove the heads.

All the lifters where easily removed with a pick and I pulled the cam.

Next was to punch out the pistons. I found I didn't have much of a build up at the top of the cylinder walls. A small scrapper took care of carbon.

This engine may have been rebuilt at some point. All the cylinders exhibit some very nice cross hitch. The engine has been painted black but I was of the understanding that the original color was blue. I was told the engine came from a '77 Waggy. The seller still had the body in the back of his property.

I reinstalled the main bearing caps and will take the block to the machine shop I hope by Thursday of this week for cleaning, magnifulx, and inspection.

If the block doesn't pass mustard this project will be over and I will have some parts to sell.

'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Fingers crossed for you on the block turning out good!
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Fingers crossed for you on the block turning out good!
Thanks.....should know by early next week.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
travisrda
1984 CJ7 

what are you putting behind it? I just "finished" putting my 401 in my 84 and i love it! Good luck with your build I'll be following along. hopefully it doesn't take you as long as it did me took me about 3 years or so.
travisrda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

As you mentioned, it took me a while, around a year or so, but it was well worth it. Building an engine was a great learning experience for me and a lot of fun. Mine is a fairly stock build with a simple cam, headers, edelbrock intake and Holley truck avenger, and it'll suck you back in seat when you want it to.
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisrda View Post
what are you putting behind it? I just "finished" putting my 401 in my 84 and i love it! Good luck with your build I'll be following along. hopefully it doesn't take you as long as it did me took me about 3 years or so.
travisrda....I have a T-18 in my '86 CJ7 now and its in great shape. I am hoping to pull the 258 and install the 401 in its place.

Unread 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
As you mentioned, it took me a while, around a year or so, but it was well worth it. Building an engine was a great learning experience for me and a lot of fun. Mine is a fairly stock build with a simple cam, headers, edelbrock intake and Holley truck avenger, and it'll suck you back in seat when you want it to.
TK.....I've read your build thread about three times now, in fact I was on the road four days for business last week and read your entire thread again.

Like you my goal is reliability and low end torque with this engine. I will be working with the machine shop to acheive those goals. Ever since I sold my '79 CJ7 with a 304 I've missed having a V8 in my CJ.

Unread 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I'm sure your aware, But do you have any plans for oiling system upgrades ?
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
I'm sure your aware, But do you have any plans for oiling system upgrades ?
LT......yes I have a copy of BJ's book and printed out the article on the subject that JeepHammer posted the other day.

Unread 03-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

cant wait to do a 401 for mine. i too will be going for reliability and low end torque. i am definitely following this one.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Well got the block to the machine shop today. I should have the results from the magneflux by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

I know these pictures don't look like much but here's the block on the tail gate on my Avalanche.

I also started cleaning up the front cover this afternoon. I pulled the water pump off the cover as well as the oil pump housing. After cleaning the oil off the gears I found a nick, I was not happy. The pick is pointing at the damaged tooth. I'm thinking this may be cause for replacement. I'm open to any thoughts and feedback.

Tomorrow I get to use my new, at least to me, valve spring compressor. Picked this up at the local rental shop that is liquidating all their automotive tools.

I'll get some pics up on the heads after I pull the valves.

Unread 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Well got to use the new valve spring compressor today, it worked great. Removed all the valves from both heads and found a couple of interesting items.

Valve seats all looked good except one exhaust port that must of received a dose of coolant when the engine was removed.

Everyone of the intake valves had a build up similar to this unit.

About 50% of the valve stem seals had some type of chunk missing and all of them where brittle and hard.

The most interesting discovery of the day was the pistons. I cleaned the crown of a couple of them and found .030 stamped on the dome.

I figured the engine had been rebuilt or at least repainted at some point since the block was painted black. So the block has been bored 30 over.

I measured the crankshaft mains and rod journals and found them to be at the standard dimensions. So, the crank was not been turned.

With the condition of the valve stem seals, I would guess the heads have not had any work done to them as well.

I really will not know until I get all these pieces into the machine shop and let the pros check it out.

Unread 03-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

A lot of your pictures look very familiar.... looks about the same as my 401 when I tore it down, just without the .030 on the pistons. Hopefully you'll get lucky and it won't need to be bored any more which will save you some. Are you planning to go with a higher compression piston or stock?
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
A lot of your pictures look very familiar.... looks about the same as my 401 when I tore it down, just without the .030 on the pistons. Hopefully you'll get lucky and it won't need to be bored any more which will save you some. Are you planning to go with a higher compression piston or stock?
I'd like to go with the pistons I already have, if for no other reason than to save some coin.

I really have no desire to build a high compression engine, regular unleaded is spendy enough. I'd hate to think my new engine would only run on high octane.

I will know more by the middle of next week after the machine shop has a chance to clean and measure the block if I'll be able to reuse the existing pistons.

I was happy to find the crank had not been turned.

Tk....what are your thoughts about the ding in the oil pump gear? I was pricing some rebuild kits today and think I should just put in new. They were not that expensive.

Unread 03-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #15
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

My engine rebuild kit came with new pump gears, so i would wait to see if your engine rebuild kit includes them before ordering some. Replace them either way. The bigger concern is what does the inside of your oil pump housing look like? Jeephammer goes over checking the clearances of the oil pump in a thread that is linked in his signature, I highly recommend doing that. If there are groves inside the housing, that will hurt your oil pressure. Bulltear sells a steel endplate that keeps the gears from scoring the aluminum pump cover, but there is nothing you can do if the sidewalls of the housing are scored.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.