transmission/transfer case ID - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > transmission/transfer case ID

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
crumrill
1975 CJ5 

transmission/transfer case ID

I am trying to ID the tranny & transfer case in my 1975 cj
I couldnt find numbers on the tranny but tag on transfer case says 300596 125 357020 Can anyone help with ID?
ALso anyone know where to find casting numbers on the motor? I was told by motor mounts but all that says is 360CJ

crumrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Novak.com has tons of info and pictures on transmissions and tcases. It should give you some insight into the number you have cited. The transmission id will be cast on the side, You'll have to look under the jeep. Which side(driver v passenger) is determined by which transmission-so check both sides.

The motor casting will be on the side of the block somewhere. Also, I don't believe CJs came with 360s from the factory so you're looking at an engine swap if you have a 360.
wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
CSP

Transfer case should be a Dana 20.

How many speeds is the transmission? The three speeds would either be a T14 if it came with a six cylinder or a T15 if it came with a V8. The 360 isn't stock.

There are no casting numbers on the block like you might find on a Chevy or Ford engine. Someone swapped in a 360, which if it still has the stock valve covers there may be a tag on the front of the drivers side cover which might give you more info on the engine.

Your VIN will tell you if was originally a V8 or straight six. The 8th digit is the engine designator. If it had a 304 originally it will be "H".
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.