transmission stabilizer mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > transmission stabilizer mount

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
wmsthree

transmission stabilizer mount

Got a master urethane bushing kit for my 79 CJ7, the stabilizer bushings on the transmission mount seem like they're too short for the bolt, they lack about 1/2 inch from the end of the bolt. Defective, or are they supposed to slide up and down the bolt with the torqueing of the engine?

wmsthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

They fit in tight with their cones pointing together and the bar inbetween the cones. This way the bar moves in the cone area up and down as far as the shoulder allows, but the rubbers don't move.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
wmsthree

Well, there's a problem then. Bottom washer, bottom bushing (small end up), top bushing (small end down), top washer and nut. The problem is there's 1/2 inch between the top of the top bushing and the top washer, so the bushings are sliding up and down. Not cool. Anyone else run into this problem?
Unread 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
dwloop
1976 CJ5 

Can you get some pics? I have seen them too tight and clamp down on the arm, but if the stud is correct and assembled right they should work. Are they different sizes than the orginal rubber bushings?
dwloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

I do not have a pic of mine, but I've got some washers on it. it did NOT fit like the orriginal ones that's for sure.
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
wmsthree

Yes, they are not as thick as the original rubber bushings I took off. I ordered Energy suspension but got Daystar in the mail instead - perhaps that is the problem.
Unread 10-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsthree View Post
..are they supposed to slide up and down the bolt with the torqueing of the engine?
That would defeat the whole purpose of the torque arm. Here's a pic of my install:

Note: This is a custom (Hack Fab/Diablo Machine - Father/Son) stud, which is about 1/2" longer than the OEM. The problem I had was the Energy Suspension trans mount is 'taller' than the OEM rubber mount. A call to ES 'tech support' was of little help: 'its the same'. Right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsthree View Post
The problem is there's 1/2 inch between the top of the top bushing and the top washer, so the bushings are sliding up and down. Not cool. Anyone else run into this problem?
Add more washers to the bottom. Or go with the 'Diablo Design' alternative:

Last edited by HackFabrication; 10-08-2008 at 02:48 PM..
HackFabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I did mine last year and I vaguely remember having to add some kind of spacer
or a couple washers to it. I would have to check it out on mine to be sure.
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
wmsthree

Thanks, guys. That tells me what I need to know. Lucky for me I work somewhere that I have acess to a machinist, and since I've got a Jeep and several other projects we are on a first name basis!
Unread 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I did the washer thing myself.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.