transmission problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > transmission problems

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
NEKamc14
1985 CJ7 

transmission problems

hey guys new to the web site and first post so here it goes. I was driving home from school today in my 1985 cj 7 when i started coming up a hill when all of a sudden my jeep comes to a hard stop and dies. pushed in the clutch and the jeep didnt move. started it back up and brought the rpm s up and dropped the clutch didn't move did it again and got it to budge only a bit so when i pushed the clutch in it rolled down the hill and out of the middle of the road. when it wasnt moving my shifter was stuck in first now its out but tranny does sound good when pulled home wont go in gear just grinds
any suggestion ??
BTW tranny s a t4

NEKamc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEKamc14 View Post
any suggestion ??
BTW tranny s a t4
Welcome to the forum!

I'll take a stab at this. You might try putting the transfer case in neutral and seeing if the problem is the same. If it is, then that points to the transmission as the problem. If the transfer case is in neutral and the problem goes away, then maybe the problem was downstream of the transmission (ie: transfer case, drive shafts, axles). It's a quick test to try.
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Operation boat anchor...

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Could be your clutch.

When you have it in neutral at the transfer box see if you can work through the box without the engine on. With the engine at idle you should be able to force it into gear with the transfer box in neutral without a clutch.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
caseypotts
1980 CJ7 

Hydraulic clutch?

Her Ride
2003 Liberty Renegade
caseypotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
jeep1000
1985 CJ7 

I have an '85 CJ7 as well. This sounds a lot like a clutch issue. As stated above, try neutral in the Transfer Case and if it goes away, look south if the tranny.
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Yes I would look at clutch first I had my linkage jump off one time.
1981 CJ 7
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

It wouldnt have stopped your jeep tho if it was the clutch.. the jeep is old enough that you can put it in first and just start it and it will start up and go if the trans is okay. The T4 is a pile to begin with also.. I'd bet your trans needs to be replaced. It wouldnt have ground on the way home either if it was just a clutch.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

There was a recall on the T4 and T5 years ago from them locking up while driving.

Quote:
Vehicle 1982 JEEP CJ7
Manufacturer CHRYSLER CORPORATION
Manufactured between 4/1/1981 - 3/1/1982
Recalled on 12/17/1982
Influenced by CHRYSLER CORPORATION
Owners Notified on 1/27/1983
# Affected 13,532
Recalled for POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION:LUBRICANT

Description ORIGINAL PRODUCTION TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT USED IN THE INVOLVED VEHICLES MAY NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE LUBRICATION TO PROTECT THE TRANSMISSION"S FIRST GEAR.
Consequences
Corrective action THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE ORIGINAL PRODUCTION LUBRICANT AT NO CHARGE TO THE OWNER.
Notes VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES AND TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITHT4 AND T5 MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS.SYSTEM: POWER TRAIN; MANUAL TRANSMISSION, LUBRICANT.CONSEQUENCES OF DEFECT: IN EXTREME CASES THE TRANSMISSION COULD FAIL TO OPERATE DUE TO LACK OF LUBRICATION. THIS FAILURE COULD OCCUR WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING AND MAY CAUSE A VEHICLE ACCIDENT.NOTE: PRIOR TO SERVICING, OWNER IS ADVISED TO AVOID DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS.ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 5-SPEED TRANSMISSION, AVOID USING THE FIFTH GEAR.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
nekamc
1985 CJ7 

Thanks guys I didn't like that last post to much cause I took the t5 and Dana 300 out of my 1982 amc eagle. Fixed the problem runs great now. If this tranny does goes to I'm goin to have to buy a reverse for the t176 which was originally was in the jeep.
nekamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
nekamc
1985 CJ7 

82jeep cj 7 you hit it right on the nail. Thanks for the head up for the tranny in it now
nekamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.