Transmission Oil question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transmission Oil question?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
jduress
1985 CJ7 

Transmission Oil question?

I was thinking about draining and refilling my trans because I figure it has probably never been done and could use some fresh lubrication. Since the owners manual gives some AMC number that doesn't exist anymore I tried to look up what to use. I found sae 85w-90 GL5 was the most common, any advice before I drain it?, any suggestions? It is a borg T5 in an 85 cj7

jduress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
SkyJax
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduress
I was thinking about draining and refilling my trans because I figure it has probably never been done and could use some fresh lubrication. Since the owners manual gives some AMC number that doesn't exist anymore I tried to look up what to use. I found sae 85w-90 GL5 was the most common, any advice before I drain it?, any suggestions? It is a borg T5 in an 85 cj7
I have an 85' CJ7 with the T-5 as well. In my searches the fluid type seems to be a big debate but from what I determined this is what I "believe" is recommended. Bought it at NAPA.
image-2978228532.jpg  
SkyJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
csabens
1985 CJ7 

Not overly familiar with the T5 but if it has any brass or "yellow" parts, you need lower GL numbers so you don't disintegrate the parts. Ideally GL3, but most have been using that NAPA shown above that's GL4.

Big debates over this stuff, just run a quick search.
Daily Driven: 1985 CJ7 Renegade, 258ci 4.2L (TeamRushed and Nuttered), T176/Dana 300 (in need of an overhaul), Weber 38 DGES, Ion Alloy 174 15x8, MasterCraft Courser MT 33x12.5x15, Front Axle Dana 30 w/ Superwinch Hubs, Rear Axle AMC 20 w/ one piece Alloy USA.
csabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

x2 on the Sta-Lube 85w90 GL4 from Napa. That's what I used:

Tags
advice help , cj7 , suggestions , transmission fluid

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.