Transmission frozen????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transmission frozen?????

Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!

Unread 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
eng49ine

Transmission frozen?????

I have a 1981 CJ7 with the GM Iron Duke with a 4 speed. My transmission seems to freeze up when it get's cold!!!!!!!! I just changed the fluids in it with 80/90 gear oil.. Any ideas???? You can NOT get it out of gear!!

Thanks

Greg

eng49ine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I had the same problem with my 1981 w/ SR4. For me, I did not realize what was causing it until I managed to actually BREAK the shifter.

When I removed the old shifter, I looked into the shifting area, and it had about 1" of water! When cold, it would freeze the shifting components into a block of ice.

Could be other things, but at least an easy thing to fix if this is the case.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

does it only happen when it gets cold? does it get any better once you warm the jeep up?
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Bakunin

1985 CJ7 

I had troubles shifting my T5. I know it's completely different, but I replaced the gear oil with the recommended Transmission fluid and the problems cleared up.
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
eng49ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcranger View Post
does it only happen when it gets cold? does it get any better once you warm the jeep up?

Yes it only happens when it gets cold. It's fine after it's warmed up.
eng49ine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

sounds like the combination of the thick gear oil and the cold weather. my t5 is a little "stiff" before it warms up as well in the cold weather. i wouldnt be concerned as long as thats the only thing that seems off. let it warm up before you take it out.
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.