Transmission cooler ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transmission cooler ??

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Transmission cooler ??

I am swapping my 350 /4l60e into my cj7. What is the consensus of running a tranny cooler such as this Hayden http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C3F3SO/...I3VJGBYX9GP7B5 directly from the tranny skipping the radiator? A search revealed several threads on the subject of not using the radiator cooler also.

And how do these compare to the tube type coolers like this . I am not a Mr Gasket fan but the style looks better protected.

Unread 01-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I have a cooler mounted in front of my radiator for my 700R4. I bought it at parts plus for $35. I would definitely mount it to body, not through the radiator.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum app
dg6772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 01:48 AM   #3
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

There is a slightly larger version available. I would go for that and an in-line filter, mounting the trans cooler on to the body in front of the radiator.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #4
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

I run a cooler of that style in mine. I have it mounted in front of the gas tank, under the body as pictured below. Works for me, but... I don't play in the mud or on the rocks.
100_1463.jpg

Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

And you Michigan guys have no issues with the transmission being too cold? It would make sense since it takes time for the block to heat up before the radiator would circulate anyway.
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
There is a slightly larger version available. I would go for that and an in-line filter, mounting the trans cooler on to the body in front of the radiator.
I found one that is 1 1/2" thick. I will probably go with it. I am ready to order my transfer case adapter so the tranny will most likely go in this month. I don't have the money for it to be rebuilt but maybe next year I can pull it out and have it done.
Unread 01-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX4LIFE View Post
And you Michigan guys have no issues with the transmission being too cold? It would make sense since it takes time for the block to heat up before the radiator would circulate anyway.
I'm not running mine in the winter except once in a while to make sure things stay lubed and charged.

Unread 01-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Since I do plan on using mine in the winter should I consider using the radiator also?
Unread 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I think I would. You could add a trans temp so you can monitor it to see how it goes. Possibly even plumb it so you can change back and forth if needed.

Unread 01-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Dave, I have been reading a lot of your posts. Do you have a build thread?
Unread 01-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I do not, didn't find out about this forum until I finished my project. Bummer too, because you guys would've been great to bounce things off, instead, I went it alone with little outside input. So a lot of things are over thought but.... What the heck. I'm more than willing to share though; maybe something I did will help someone else from scratching their head until their hair is gone... Lol

Unread 01-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg6772 View Post
I do not, didn't find out about this forum until I finished my project. Bummer too, because you guys would've been great to bounce things off, instead, I went it alone with little outside input. So a lot of things are over thought but.... What the heck. I'm more than willing to share though; maybe something I did will help someone else from scratching their head until their hair is gone... Lol

Crap, according to your jeep profile mine will be almost identical. Did the transfer case end up at the same place so I don't have to cut drive shafts? I did order my transfer case adapter today from Adance Adapters. I ordered the one for the 700R4/4l60/4l60E(early). Along with the Vss kit.
Unread 01-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #13
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Same as what? Stock? He,he in a word..... No.

I started with a frame 17 years ago. I did get my shafts made to fit from D&R Driveline in Grand Rapids, Mich. I had to drill my cross member to accept the new position.

I was into nearly everything from axles to paint. I didn't do the decal on hood

I also didn't do exhaust, or rebuild transmission. Everything else, I did. Sorry if that sounds smug, but I'm pretty proud of her.

So, I'll be happy to help out however I can.... Got questions?? Ask away. I'll tell ya what I did; right, wrong or otherwise. I'm sure there was better ways for some of what I did, but like I said earlier I was without input from those here who know.

Unread 01-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #14
Redmanchew
1982 CJ7 

Dave,
I ran mine through the aluminum radiator when I did my swap... Ran an aux oil cooler separately out front of it. I crawl a lot in mine and have 20,000+ on it (bought the setup with 38,000) . I suspect the first gear is beginning to slip a little and will need a rebuild soon. For as much as I have beat it up in the last 6 years I am happy with the way it has hung in there running through the radiator. When I get it rebuilt I will probably put an external in line though.

Looks nice... like the green and gold...
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Thanks, only reason I didn't go through radiator is that my radiator is from a stick CJ. No cooler. Most of my CJ is from donors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.