Transmission causing Overheating? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transmission causing Overheating?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
TedCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Transmission causing Overheating?

Hi everybody. This is my first post. I've been looking at this site for quite awhile and have been amazed at the level of knowledge of all the members. You guys have helped me with a few issues I have had. Thank you.

I am having a issue that I can't quite figure out and was hoping someone could help. I have a 83 CJ7 I-6 258 with a T999 auto transmission. The temperature on my jeep will start going up when I have the jeep in gear and sitting still , like sitting at a red light, I can watch the temp gauge rise almost all the way up. Then it starts falling as soon as I start moving. It will also rise when I'm on the hwy in the gas pretty good. But just cruising under moderate acceleration it's fine. When it's in park the temp holds steady at 195ish.

I changed the trans fluid a few weeks ago when I had to adjust the band up under the pan. I was thinking I was low on fluid but every time I check its good. I'm just kind of a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

TedCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Have a rod-out done on the radiator.
Are you using a clutch fan?
Do you have an external cooler for the tranny?
Do you have a shroud on your radiator?
When was the last time you pressure checked the radiator cap?
Why would you change the tranny fluid for an overheating engine?
LG
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
TedCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Sorry I didn't mean I changed the fluid because of the overheating. The trans was slipping so I dropped the pan to tighten the band. I should have add some more details. Some times I think them but don't type it. I replaced the thermostat and water pump a week ago. The hoses all appear to be good. About a year old. The lower doesn't collapse and has the spring in it.

I haven't rodded the radiator. I plan on pulling it tomorrow and taking it to a shop to have it looked at and test the cap. I have a flex fan with no shroud. No external cooler for the trans, but it's on the list to do.

It just seems weird that it only starts overheating when it's in gear.
TedCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Not 'strange' at all.
Your 'loading' the engine when the tranny is in gear.
What engine temps are you seeing?
You may also want to have the block flushed.
Use only distilled water when you mix the coolant.
What does the inside of the radiator look like when you remove the cap? Can you post a picture of this?
LG

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.