Transmission/4 L problems..New to jeeps. -

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Transmission/4 L problems..New to jeeps.

OK guys I am new to jeeps and the forum and hoping the community can help me on my journey with my 85 cj7.

I bought the CJ last week and absolutly love it. Unfortunitly my 15 year old decided to take it for a joy ride around the property yesterday while I was at work yesterday. (doesnt need a key to start) He called to tell me that the jeep would not come out of first gear.

When I got home to try to diagnoise the problem I noticed that the Stick felt like it was in the neutral position but would not allow me to go into any gear. However the transmission was actually in first gear and i could not disengage. After reading on hear and talking to a buddy who owns a transmission shop we chalked it up to the syncronizers. (thoughts???)

Also, when I bought the jeep I was not able to engage 4L. (only 2H & 4H)
Could it be the hubs??

Since I have a good friend who has a transmission shop he told me to bring it to him with the transfer case and he would get one of his guys to go through it today and would fix it for parts cost. (great guy and friend)

So last night we dropped the tranny and transfer case with ease thanks to this forum and my handy dandy chiltons (2 hrs). Dropped off the tranny and the transfer case to be gone though and fixed at my buddys shop.

Since I already have it off should I replace the Clutch and/ or the master cylinder?

clutch , master cylinder , transfer case , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.