Transmission for a 350 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transmission for a 350

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 06-11-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
wannachrist

Transmission for a 350

Well I'm looking towards buying a 4/5 speed for my jeep. The old transmission couldn't handle the power and the case was cracked. So I'm looking towards buying a new/rebuilt manual transmission. I was at Jegs website and was looking at the T-10. Anyone have any suggestions for a kick *** transmission that will handle around 350hp. Also where can I order it online?

Any help would be appreciated.

Unread 06-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
brettv

I am in the process of 350 swap in my 84cj7. I went to a junk yard here in birmingham al and found a sm465 and np205 transfercase bolted together for 500 dollars. The tranny was rebuilt and both come with a 90 day warranty. He had several sm465's he had rebuilt. The tranny cost was $350. Let me know if you want his contact information. He also had alot of other trannys.

thanks
brettv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
wannachrist

thanks for the reply, thought no one was going to respond.

Is the sm465 a manual or automatic? If I could get his info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply man.

-Justin
Unread 06-13-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
bods7
1983 CJ7 

IF you don't want to do a automatic GM tranny that would bolt up to the motor but not the transfer case, you could go with a World Class T-5. This is a very common tranny, variations of it al leased, one type was used in camaro's. The World Class is beefed up for V-8's and off roading. The best thing is is that it is a drop in replacement for stock Jeep. This means your transfer case will bolt right up but you will need a tranny conversion bellhousing. Advanced Adapters could help you with that.
Another option is to do the NV4500 tranny never worry about breaking a tranny again most likely. This is a little well a lot more expensive but may be right for you. The NV is the strongest out there and it has 5 speed with 70% overdirve and a low first gear.
Hoped this helped
bods7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2004, 08:01 AM   #5
brettv

The Sm465 is a manual. Do you need automatic? He has the t400 also. This combo sm465 with the np205 is a bullet proof set up in my opinion. Let me know if you need more information.

thanks
Unread 06-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
wannachrist

Yeah, I think I'll just go with the SM465. It's manual so I'm cool with it. The original tranny(stock 4 spd) went out. I guess too many wheelies did it. Owner before me really worked it. So when I bought it he had a TH700R4 ready to go. But when we put it in, things didn't line up right and it was a pain. So I'm going to try and find a manual so things will line up better and plus manuals are more fun.

So yeah, if it isn't any trouble I'd like his contact info. Also if anyone needs a TH700R4 tranny let me know.

-Justin
Unread 06-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #7
wannachrist

Oh, one more question. Just talked to the previous owner. He still has the old tranny. The case is still good, but the 2nd gear was blown. He said that there was too much torque due to gear ratio. This 350 is pushing about 300-350hp. Does anyone know if it's possible to just rebuild the stock tranny to handle the power? It's a 85 CJ-7. It was the Inline 6.

brettv - Yeah man. I'd really like his contact info if you have it. I'd like to get my hands on that tranny and transfer if I can't rebuild the old tranny.

Thanks ahead of time,
-Justin
Unread 06-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
brettv

B & S AUTO PARTS (205) 426-8431
7000 PROSPER AV
BESSEMER, AL 35023

Let me know if you have questions or I can help. I payed $350 for a rebuilt unit looks brand new.

thanks
Unread 06-21-2004, 10:09 PM   #9
John C

No Way

Bail out on any manual made after 79'. Even a "World Class" T-5 isn't going to last behind a stout V-8 doing what JEEPS do. Ever see a mustang climb rocks? I like the T-176 standard but I prefer the T-400 Auto. Novak or Advance adapters can help you hang a number of transfer cases on them. Find a Dana 300 (80-86) case and you have a bulletproof set up.
BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #156
84' Caribean Blue Laredo w/ black leather interior
Frame off restore 6 years ago
7 inch lift w/ 34" TRXUS MT
DANA 44 front Solid axle converted Model 20 rear
AMC 360 / T-400 / Model 300 transfer case
SOLD
but never forgotten

Quote:
If I can't hunt it, fish it, f**k it, or wheel it, I might not be that intrested in it
John C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2004, 09:55 PM   #10
wannachrist

Ok cool, he's got the tranny and transfer. I just need to find a way to ship it. UPS wont ship something over 150lbs.

Anyone here know of a shipping company that will ship it from Alabama to North Carolina. I'm pretty sure the whole setup is gonna weigh about 300lbs. Weight seems to be the major problem. Also how much do you think that would cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Justin
Unread 06-23-2004, 12:40 AM   #11
181jeep

Justin,

Don't waste your time shipping something so common. Go to a junkyard close to home and find one. SM465xNP205 T-case combos are everywhere, Find one close to home.

JB
Unread 06-26-2004, 06:00 AM   #12
nickdz

I agree with JB...I was able to find an SM465 at a local junk yard for ~$150. I then spent ~$200 for a rebuild of it. When I was looking for an SM465 online, I think shipping was going to be about the cost of the tranny (but I could be wrong).

On another note, I got the SM465 because I was in the middle of swapping in 350 and there was no way my light-duty SR4 tranny was going to hold up to the torque. From all the research i did, it looks like the medium-duty T176 is a very good tranny, but it may even have problems holding up to your high-output 350.

I also wanted to point out that while the SM465 is a 4 speed, 1st gear does not have a syncro on it and has a very high (or low, depending on how you look at it) ratio, 6.55:1. It is a granny gear that I hardly use. So in reality, this is a 3 speed tranny. It is a great heavy-duty tranny, but I just wanted to point that out.
nickdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #13
77'cj7

Another option is a t-98. Gearing is very similar to the sm465. (Granny gear plus 3) Mine is holding up to my 350 fine, but i dont have 350 horsepower. Just another option to think about.
77'cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2004, 01:37 AM   #14
wannachrist

The T-98 and SM-465, what vehicles did these come out of? I've been calling the local scrap yards but they need to know what vehicle they came out of.

Thanks for your time,

-Justin
Unread 06-27-2004, 06:14 AM   #15
nickdz

The SM465 was used in a wide range of vehicles for GM, from Blazers to tow-trucks. If you need a specific "model" to chose from, try using a 1985 K5 Blazer.
- Locked All Around
- Mastercraft Seats
- Durabak Interior and Exterior
- KargoMaster Cage
- Way too many minor repairs/upgrades to list (emphasis on "repairs")
nickdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.