Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission ?

817 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JeffreyCharles 
#1 ·
I've got an 86 cj7 with a 3 speed transmission when it's cold it slips a lot, after it warms up it does fine. But thinking of replacing and really don't know what to go with Someone told me I would be better off letting a transmission shop build me one If I do this do I use the one in the jeep now r would it be better to find another one I'm at a total loss when it comes to this part of my jeep.

#2 ·
First thing I would try would be a fluid change. Its possible you aren't fully engaging the synchros when its cold because your oil is too viscous. You might even try a lighter weight oil, especially if you are in a colder climate. Worth trying before a rebuild/new trans.

#4 ·
Fill out your Profile and you may get more specific advice, still wrong but specifically wrong :p

#5 ·
I'm sorry but I'm new to this, I've went to my profile but there is nothing I can fine to fill out. This is only like my 12 r 13 post but I have to say I like it so far, the info I got from my post and by reading others is unreal When I first downloaded the app it said I had to do 25 post before I could use some features. But any help on any of it would be great

#7 ·
If it's slipping and a stock 3 speed I'm assuming you have an automatic?

IF you have a stock automatic it would be a TF999 transmission. Change the fluid, and adjust the bands. I have a couple of these in my shop but haven't done anything with them yet but do a lot of reading, but I remember SOMEWHERE online Jeephammer saying that a lot of the TF999's that people think need to be rebuilt really only need to have the bands adjusted.

Google it and I'll bet you can find instructions on how to do it. If not, I'll scan my manual I have and email you the PDF's.

#9 ·
Sorry guys as I stated before I'm new to all this and learning as I go But yes it is a stock auto and I just finished my profile on the lab top (to the best of my knowledge as I learn more I will update) A few more questions I have on it . How reliable is it? Planing on doing some lite off roading with it And is there any good upgrades I could do ? I've seen some with a B&M type shifter in it, is this possible.

#10 ·
TF999's are supposed to be good transmissions. If you don't like the column shifter you can use a floor shifter; just personal preference. If you want a floor shifter I have one (B&M I think, I'll have to pull it out) that I won't be using that came with my TF999's, and I need the shifter linkage because I want to use the factory column shifter. Want to trake my shifter for your linkage? I already have a column, just don't have any of the linkage from column to transmission. I was going to get an ididit cable when I eventually get around to doing my swap.

Band adjustment looks fairly straightforward, so do that and change the fluid, and then see how it does. Only reason to go with any other automatic over the TF999 is if one wanted overdrive.

#12 ·
BDP-
I've run 999's and 727's for years. The 999 is a great transmission. I agree with others on fluid changes and band adjustments. When the fluid gets tired, these have the propensity to start slipping. The transmission holds a great deal of fluid (nearly 9 qts if I remember correctly) so keep in mind that simply dropping the tranny pan and changing the filter is not going to drain all of the old fluid out. There are probably better methods, but in the past, after a fluid change, I've used a cheap hand pump and hose inserted into the transmission dipstick tube to suck out old fluid.

Good luck!

#13 ·
I was leery of doing a "flush" on the only automatic I've ever owned (01 4runner) so I did a drain and fill, and then removed the line going from transmission into the radiator and dropped it in a bucket, cranked it up, let about a quart pump out, shut car off, filled with fresh, repeat till you're getting nice fresh red fluid out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.