Transfer caser trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transfer caser trouble

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
frankenstienCJ
1978 CJ7 

Transfer caser trouble

I have a 1978 CJ7 304. With a t-150/amc 20 transmission and transfer case. While I was pulling back into my drive way. Which by tyhe way isw gravel and is on a 8 degree angle. I was about half way up and I hearda pop and the front axle did not work any longer. My question is what could I have broke? I looked up the breakdown of parts and I can not figure it out. I might just have to wait until I tear it apart. Thanks for the help.

frankenstienCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Is there any noise now when driving? 2WD? 4WD? Turning? Backing?

I am assuming you were in 4X4 at the time due to the comment about the front axle stopped working. Are you sure it's the T-case? Usually when turning in 4X4 the front axle binds, depending on the condition of the front and tire size it could have popped something in there. put the T-case in 4 high jump under the Jeep and see it the front shaft will turn by hand if it does then it is in the case, if it doesn't then it's in the axle. To test the axles jack up the front (secure on Jack stands if you go under it-legal statement you know), while still in 4WD and with the hubs locked spin one tire if the other does not turn then there is a disconnect, ie something broke. If you hear a gravelly sound when turning is in the carrier, if there is no distintive noise it's probably an axle. If no noise grap the other tire and spin it, the tire with the least resistance is probably the one with the brokenn axle. I am again, assuming the rear is pulling so we know it not the tranny, that would really only leave the front drive gear and output shaft (in general, don't know a 20 and am not looking at the schematic).

It is also possible that it popped out of 4WD and the shifter linkage got torqued and the inards are fine, it's just in the linkage.
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Stumpbumper
1984 CJ7 

You maytr have not been all the way in gear. Transfercase shifter linkage may be worn and not letting you completely shift. I would check this out before ripping something apart.

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
Stumpbumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

There are only a few components in the front axle itself that could be the culprit. But first do as suggested and make sure it didn't just kick the t-case out of 4H (which I assume you were driving in). Have you recently added a body lift or made any modifications? Were there any other sounds coming fromt the front after the initial "pop"?

Beyond that I'd check the easy stuff first. Give the axle shaft u-joints a visual inspection to make sure they are in tact. Then put it in 4wd, lock the hubs and try and turn the axle shafts by hand at the steering knuckle. If they can't be turned I'd say the lockouts and front gear set are probably okay (provided no other horrible noises were coming from the front) and would start looking to the t-case for answers. Keep it in 4wd, unlock the hubs and try and turn the front DS by hand. If it turns it's time to pull the t-case and open it up. If it doesn't turn maybe the driveshaft itself has failed in some manner. If not I guess your back to square one and will have to start tearing things apart one at a time to find the issue.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
frankenstienCJ
1978 CJ7 

Ok today I checked the linkage. Found nothing there. a little to much wear for me but other than that it is all there. I did not have time to jack it up and check axles and the rest. I did get it out on the road so 2wd works and there is no noises. I do have to change the ball joints. I am going to take it over and get it up on a lift to verify the rest. Thank you all for the help. I will update later on what I find.
Unread 09-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

You don't need to put it up on a lift to verify the things mopar and I suggested. Simply having the hubs locked with all 4 tires on the ground and trying to turn two driveline components with the t-case in 4wd will answer most of the questions. Less than 5 minutes and you should be able to at least narrow down the suspect list.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstienCJ
Ok today I checked the linkage. Found nothing there. a little to much wear for me but other than that it is all there. I did not have time to jack it up and check axles and the rest. I did get it out on the road so 2wd works and there is no noises. I do have to change the ball joints. I am going to take it over and get it up on a lift to verify the rest. Thank you all for the help. I will update later on what I find.
Were you In 4, low or high, when this happened.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
frankenstienCJ
1978 CJ7 

I was in 4 low. Going slowly up the drive way in reverse.
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

It may not have been completly in 4 low. I, and others here would tell you a Dana 20 will work in 4 low, with just the rear axle, because of wear.
I'm betting this is the case with yours. Have you changed to a new shifter boot? Try again making sure the lever is all the way back.
The first time this happened to me, I was sure something broke.
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.