Transfer case trouble? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transfer case trouble?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
fireboy283

Transfer case trouble?

I have a 77 CJ5, recently purchased and in need of some TLC. The 232 runs very strong...amazingly actually....but when putting the jeep in 4 hi or 4 low, I can't get the front wheels to pull. Got it stuck in the mud the other day (first real test in the mud)....put the jeep in neutral, put it in 4 low, locked the hubs, got back in...dropped it into 1st and the rear wheels were throwing mud like mad..but the fronts weren't doing a darn thing. Rechecked the hub locks and made sure it was all the way in 4 low...and nothing. Once home...I locked the hubs, put it in 4 low, left the tranny in neutral...pushed the jeep back and forth and made sure the front axles were turning and the drive shaft turned....it all did. Then locked in each hub seperately with that wheel jacked up and turned the wheel and everything turned. So...is this a transfer case issue?? or could it be a front slip joint issue?? Is there anything else I should try?

fireboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Could be a bad hub, take them off and make sure they are engaging. Then go from there.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
fireboy283

But if it were a bad hub, the knuckle, axle, and driveshaft wouldn't be turning when they were locked in, right?? Or am I missing something?
Unread 05-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

They would still turn. Everything is still turning because it is being driven when you engage 4WD. If the hub is not functioning there will be nothing at the tire to engage with the axle shafts when they are turning. Take the hubs off, inspect, clean and lightly grease. This is very easy to do and would be the first place to start.

It could be possible that when you jacked it up and turned the tire the axle shaft did turn because of the lack of resistance with the Jeep in the air.

On my 76' sometimes the lever does not go all the way into low the first time. It appears to be in the right spot but seems to fall into a false 2WD low only driving the rear wheels. I'm sure you probably pulled it pretty hard but if not try to really pull it hard into 4WD low.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
fireboy283

OK...I'll pop them open and do all that. Thanks for the help...I'll post back on the results!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.