Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which transfer case / transmission 76 CJ5

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CJ51973 
#1 ·
My CJ has the stock 304 (just added Howell FI) and 3 sp transmission. The differentials are all stock as well.
I'm not sure which transfer/ transmission is stock but 4 low doesn't have a low enough gear ratio for climbing steep hills at slow speeds.

I want to install something that allows me to drive my jeep on the highway at speeds above 50 MPH and have the ability to climb steep hills at extremely low speeds.
My brothers 2005 Rubicon has great gearing for those extra steep hills. In 4 low, you drive up anything with the jeep just idling.

Thanks for the help,

Rich

#2 ·
It's not just the 4low that kills you, it's mainly the 2.99:1 gear ratio in first gear. You have a T150/Dana 20 combo.

Sounds like you're the perfect candidate for a T18a. It's basically the same three speed you have with a granny low gear with a 6.32:1 ratio.

Lotsa info on the web on this transmission and what it takes to swap it in.

Look here for original equipment ID and for upgrades: www.jeeptech.com

#6 ·
Try the Wanted Forum here on JeepForum first next time (as I'm sure it won't be the last time you need something for your CJ). I'm sure that the unit form Novak will be sweet, but there is a large number of CJ owners that reside here and many of them have parts. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Just got off the phone with the guys at Novac. I'm boxing up and sending my transfer case to them on Monday. They are going to rebuild my transfer case with a few Novac goodies and mate it to a new T18A.
They will ship everything back to me bolted together ready for install in 14 days.
Not bad for around $1700

I'll let you know how it works out.

Rich

#8 ·
you have three choices (more really). Do a Teralow 3:15 kit for about $850. Your drive shaft won't have to change. This will do nothing on the highway. Do a Ford T18 conversion which will run $250 for the tranny, $500 for the Novak kit, and another $200 on driveshaft lengthing/shortening. Or do a J=truck T18 which will require a PartsMike short shaft kit ($200) and the driveshafts ($200). I did the Teralow and J truck T18 in my old rig. The Teralow will be enough for most. The T18 only will be a little lower. Highway will require axle regear. You are probably 3.54. If you have over 33s you'll want more gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.