Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transfer Case and Transmission

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MuddyMules 
#1 ·
I have a 1984 CJ7 - 4.2L - 5 Speed.

Has anyone used this gasket and seal kit before for the transfer case?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52208_02.htm

How much is involved?

Also, the 5 speed transmission that I have, is there a gasket and seal set available for it?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
The d300 transfer case seal replacement isn't to bad. You can replace the seals with out dissassembling the intermediant shaft. You will might need to disassemble the input shaft (1 c-clip). You probably want an impact wrench to remove the front and rear output yokes. I have been told that you should replace the pinion nuts and washers when removing and replaceing the output pionions. They are single use locking nuts. Quadratec has those also.

For my t-5 transmission the only seals that I replaced were the input and output.
The shift tower seals with RTV. To replace the front and rear seals on the t-5 is easy. 4 bolts on the front bearing retainer come out and the seal is contained in the retainer. For the rear seal you can just pull the seal and replace it without dissasembly.

#3 ·
1984CJ said:
The d300 transfer case seal replacement isn't to bad. You can replace the seals with out dissassembling the intermediant shaft. You will might need to disassemble the input shaft (1 c-clip). You probably want an impact wrench to remove the front and rear output yokes. I have been told that you should replace the pinion nuts and washers when removing and replaceing the output pionions. They are single use locking nuts. Quadratec has those also.

For my t-5 transmission the only seals that I replaced were the input and output.
The shift tower seals with RTV. To replace the front and rear seals on the t-5 is easy. 4 bolts on the front bearing retainer come out and the seal is contained in the retainer. For the rear seal you can just pull the seal and replace it without dissasembly.
Thank you! Anybody else with diagrams or step by step pictures? I have a leak coming from the transfer case or transmission and while I'm in there, I might as well take care of it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.