Transfer case shifter removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transfer case shifter removal

USA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availab

Unread 11-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Tractor Boy
1977 CJ5 

Transfer case shifter removal

I have gotten a bushing kit for my T20 transfer case shifter. I removed most of the old mechanism from the shifter where it is attached to the bell crank. Oh, did I mention that the transfer case is still in the Jeep attached to the transmission? Anyway, I have the bolt loose that holds the shifter into the U mount but can't remove the bolt entirely because it hits the tunnel and I do not want to remove the bell crank if possible. It actually appears that it would almost be easier to remove the transfer case. I was hoping that was not the case. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Any suggestions?

Tractor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

On mine there's a removable cover on the passenger's side of the tunnel. Two screws and a little round plate. Allows direct access to the grease fitting end of the pivot bolt.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Tractor Boy
1977 CJ5 

Thanks! I don't recall seeing a place like that on mine but it might be easier to drill a hole there, get the bolt out and put a plug in after. I gave up for tonight and will take a fresh look tomorrow night.
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

If there's no removable plate there like on mine, a 1.5" hole saw and a 1.5" floor drain plug would do the trick.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Tractor Boy
1977 CJ5 

Thanks, Mickey D.

That's looking more like the solution. I just had my tub lined but I don't want to pull that transfer case out either. What's another hole in the tub anyway? I know! under tunnel ventilation. That's the ticket! I've been eyeing a hole saw set at HD.

This forum is awesome!!!!!
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The inch and half hole saw is too big. A well placed 7/8 hole saw worked well on mine. You can put a 9/16 socket on an extension to remove or tighten very easy. I have to position my lever with a drift punch before installing the bolt, but it is simple.

You can cover the hole in the floor pan with a plastic furniture plug from a hardware store.

I will look to see if I have photos. It is a quick fix, took me about 5 min. and makes life a lot easier.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Photos with the 7/8 hole to remove D20 shift lever. I did not take a photo of the plug, but it looks like it came from the factory with the plug in.

h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Tractor Boy
1977 CJ5 

Thanks for the replies. When I was under the Jeep last night, I was like bummed out. I just needed a skosh to get the thing out. Man that was frustrating. I just got my tub lined and now I'm going to drill a hole in it. Oh well, I drilled more holes in it to install my new seatbelts. So, what's another. I may try to drill the hole the same size as my floor holes so I could use a standard plug. However, I'll go to my favorite hardware store (Arlington Hardware) and see what size plugs they have before firing up the hole saw. I knew this project sounded too easy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.