transfer case problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > transfer case problem?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
vmaxup
1979 CJ7 

transfer case problem?

Ok my 79 cj7 I got about 4 months ago. Finally driving it around after getting some new swamper shoes for it.
Not going far from home yet. Still fixing little things...

Yesterday I thought I would try out the 4 wheel drive.. Got out locked the hubs.
Then put in 4 low... Sounds like something is broke after I steped on the gas. It worked before. Its works in 2wd fine.. and it sounds like broken gears or some thing. Drive shaft is turning.

I then unlocked the hubs and left in 4wd still sounds horible. Put it in 2wd and all is good.

This jeep had a 304 from factory. It had a 6 put in somewere along its life along with the 5 speed and transfer from the 6 cylinder swap.. It now has the 304 in front of the 5 speed.
So I know the transfer case is a big iron unit, I believe a 200 hundred.

So my question is were to go from here. Maybe take the front dif cover off and take a look first? Just to make shure its not the front end. I will do this tonight.
Can I rebuild that Transfercase myself? Is there any good sugestions for this T case... Also if im going in there Can I lower the gears?

vmaxup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
vmaxup
1979 CJ7 

Sorry 300 T-case
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Take the diff cover off, and check it out. It probably needs new oil anyways. If the gears look good, also check for a broken axleshaft before blaming the Tcase. The 300 is nearly indestructible, but the Dana 30 is not.
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

In another week or so, I'm going to have an extra set of Dana 300 internal's. So if you need any Dana 300 stock gears, let me know.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
vmaxup
1979 CJ7 

foggybottom....are you putting in lower gears? were you getting the stuff..

Put up on jackstands sounds horrible.. There is a cover on rear of t/case at bottom. can you see bad gears in there also.. its a pretty big cover Ill pull front dif cover tomorrow night.
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I am putting in LowMax gears from JB Conversions. But my case was cracked so I had to buy another t-case to have a case to work with. I have stock gears for D300's coming out my ears now.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
vmaxup
1979 CJ7 

send me your phone number

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.