Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

transfer case noise

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Jcarney1200 
#1 ·
Quick question all... so I engaged my 4wd on my CJ5 today and when I went into 3rd gear I could hear and feel metal banging together. I have a T15 transmission. The 4wd works but I can hear metal rubbing when in 3rd gear and 4 hi. Have no idea why it started all of sudden, any ideas??

#2 ·
It could be a number of different things I would jack up the Jeep and look underneath for anything that seems amiss. Look at the U Joints on the front shaft, front pinon that sort of thing. The transfer case is a pretty stout piece and most likely it is not the source of your problem.

If you cant find it visually when its jacked up on all four corners start the engine and and put into four high and see if you can get the noise to replicate itself and see what the source is.

#3 ·
shift fork

So I remember when I was putting the transmission back in the shift lever got pushed down to where it was almost free floating inside the transmission. I twisted it around to get it to reseat. Is there any possible way it may be rubbing on something while im in 4wd. I don't know too much about working on trannys.

#6 ·
^^^ THIS!!!
I just fried my T150 after rebuilding it and the Dana 20 t/c. All the oil migrated from the trans into the transfer case. I had no warning until 3rd gear welded itself to the mainshaft which caused other thing to "disassociate" in the trans. You might be getting a warning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.