Transfer case issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transfer case issue?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
1963hotrod
1976 CJ5 

Transfer case issue?

I just swapped in a sm420 into my 76 cj5. Everything is great untill I try to put the transfer case though the gears. I have 4 low and neutral but it grinds and will not go into 2 high or 4 high. I was told perhaps I put the gear on backwards in the tranny that engages the high gear to the transfer case. Took it out only to find I had it installed correctly. I was able to get it into high while out of the jeep by prying on the slider and linkage. it then moved through the gears installed in the jeep but with no drivelines hooked up and hanging down a bit on a jack. I think great.I put the drivelines in and mount the trans and all to the skid plate / mount.I had it in high when I put it in, run it through the gears again to check to operation and once again it grinds and will not go into high.Now I cant get the thing to go into high with it running or off. What the @#$%!

1963hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
1963hotrod
1976 CJ5 

loosened up the linkage and got it to go into 4 H . I could see the front drive shaft turn though the opening in floor. Then it grinds and pops back into neutral
.driving me mad. I had a seal kit put into the dana 20 prior to installing it, Is there something that may have been installed wrong that would cause this issue?

Last edited by 1963hotrod; 07-24-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
1963hotrod
1976 CJ5 

I ordered a twin stick kit from novak. There seems to been a lot of slop in the stock single stick setup. I hope this fixes it. If not I will replace the 20 with another one that I have and put the twin stick on it. I"m getting hooked on working on this thing. I have put in new seats front and rear(fold and tumble), a motor out of a 78cj5 with hei dist, a sm420,center console,and have an ez wire wiring kit sitting on the bench. I did get it in to h4 and h2 so I took it for a drive. Not bad for a jeep. Looking at new springs. Maybe I need an intervention.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.