Transfer case identification from shift pattern - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transfer case identification from shift pattern

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Transfer case identification from shift pattern

Im learning new stuff about my jeep every day, and its amazing me everytime, my transfer case is so strange I couldnt find a similar shift pattern as mine, on the net.

I have 2H and 2L 4H and 4L and N.

Dana 18?...maybe? how come its on my 232 engine...

Every idea counts, thanks.

[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]76' Jeep CJ7[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="White"]AMC 232[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR="Navy"][B]Weber Carb 32/36[/B][/COLOR], [B][COLOR="White"]TeamRushed[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="Red"]MSD6[/COLOR][/B], [B]33" Maxxis Mudzilla[/B]

[COLOR="darkGreen"][B]"Tear down the walls of Nicosia"[/B][/COLOR]
LordSul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Do you have two sticks?
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Is it labeled as 2L or is that a spot you found while shifting? Pictures of the tcase would help. There should also be a casting number / tag on it that would help as well.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
CSP

A '76 would have come with a Dana 20. With wear in the shifting linkage you can get to 2L between Neutral and 4L. There are two shift rods which the linkage attaches to, one for each axle. With the slop in the linkage the rod for the rear axle will engage low gear while the rod for the front axle is still in neutral.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

If the rear axle pumpkin is not offset to the passenger side, its probably not a D-18. The D-18, rear output is more toward the passenger side, Dana 20 and 300 are centered rear outputs.
It would help if you started with the lever position closest to the firewall, and listed the positions back toward the seats

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
A '76 would have come with a Dana 20. With wear in the shifting linkage you can get to 2L between Neutral and 4L. There are two shift rods which the linkage attaches to, one for each axle. With the slop in the linkage the rod for the rear axle will engage low gear while the rod for the front axle is still in neutral.
Thats why I asked him if it was labeled as 2L, thinking the same thing.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
CSP

None of the stock CJ transfer cases would have been labeled with 2L, even the Dana 18.

The twin stick Dana 18 had one shifter for high/low range and the other engaged/disengaged the front axle. You couldn't engage low range unless the front was engaged first also.
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Mine never had a shift pattern on the knob, I discovered this by trial, I tried every position, front wheel hubs at free position, and had a friend looking at the front and rear shaft turning.

After that I re checked by turning the wheels....Ill send some pics tommorow.

My jeep is big crossbreed, the VIN on the plate says 75 CJ5, but clearly the frame is not a cj5, measured it, tub is cj7. And so on...so dont count on it as a regular cj7, this transfer case may even be from willys....heres the link to that thread,
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/un...-model-871915/
[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]76' Jeep CJ7[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="White"]AMC 232[/COLOR][/B], [COLOR="Navy"][B]Weber Carb 32/36[/B][/COLOR], [B][COLOR="White"]TeamRushed[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR="Red"]MSD6[/COLOR][/B], [B]33" Maxxis Mudzilla[/B]

Unread 06-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Ok Ive checked my shift pattern again, it goes like this
from top to bottom: 4H - 2H - N - 2L - 4L

Rear diff looks centered. but the TC looks towards passenger side.

Heres the pic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Unread 06-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #10
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

I coulndt read the numbers on the case but I think I saw the DANA sign in a trapezoid shape.According to my research, this is most probably DANA20, with removed "shifter rail interlock pin", which I read, adds a 2wd L function. But again, this applies to DANA300 too...!

My TC has one shifter stick, could it it converted to single stick from twin stick? Or a single stick DANA300, they both look exactly the same

Unread 06-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
CSP

It's a Dana 20. I can see the tailhousing is cast iron (Dana 300 tailhousing is aluminum) and the speedo cable location is consistent with a Dana 20.

As I said earlier, slop in the shifter linkage allows it to go into 2low. Lots of older Dana 20s do this, inluding two that I have. No need to remove any interlock pills. Removing interlock pills allow front wheel drive, low range anyhow.
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Thank you! All sorted out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.