Transfer case cross member issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Transfer case cross member issue

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 09-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
mjgwagner
1985 CJ7 

Transfer case cross member issue

I have an 85 CJ7 six cylinder, T176, T300. I discovered that the transfer case has been sitting on the cross member. It's actually has worn a hole in the side cover. I have replaced the transmission mount but I can't see what else could be there to hold up the transfer case. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
M. Wagner

mjgwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

There is only one mount for the trans and tcase, it's right between the two.
Unread 09-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
mjgwagner
1985 CJ7 

Ok that's what I have.
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

All the extra holes are for the different variants available for the drive train.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
mjgwagner
1985 CJ7 

In my research I found for sale what is referred to as a T300 isolation bushing (2 required). I've gone through the M.R. 252 and M.R. 255 manuals but so far I can't find any reference to them. I can repair the hold in the side plate easy enough by welding it up but unless I figure out how to keep the transfer case from sitting on the cross member the issue will just return. Could the cross member be bent? I do have a split in the floor board between the seats from something having struck the floor from beneath. The bolts holding up the cross member are in the end of the slots closest to the center of the cross member. Hoping to get her back on t he road today...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.