Trans Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Trans Installation

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
sprbeast
1983 CJ7 

Trans Installation

I have finally put my trans back together now and I am looking to install it. I left the bellhousing on the engine for ease of removal.

When I go to put the input shaft in it seems to get stuck with like about 3/8-1/2 away from the bellhousing. I can't see in there to find out what it could be. Everything is clean in there but still will not go in all the way.

sprbeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
jruff
1981 CJ7 

Sounds like the input shaft isn't fitting in the pilot bushing. I would say try turning the output shaft as you wiggle it in, but it is not the clutch you are sticking on. you may have to try moving the whole backend of the tranny up,down and around to get the end of the input shaft to seat in the bushing. I too will soon be re-installing my 4 speed, which i left the bell housing on the engine also. I will keep watching for more answers. Good Luck!!!
jruff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Most likely that last little bit into the pilot bushing....... If you don't keep it straight all of the way in, you can pull down (or push up) just enough to throw things off. Muscle the trans up as you attempt to push it in (use two people) and you should be able to get it in place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.