Tranny swap now with future engine swap in mind - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tranny swap now with future engine swap in mind

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
gestuhlm

Tranny swap now with future engine swap in mind

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought another Jeep - an 83 CJ7 in great shape (only 49000 original miles on it). I had been Jeep-less (and therefore actually had money to buy stuff with) for the past 6 years, but that damn Jeep-bug disease flared up again and here I am with another CJ.

The new toy is great - the only downside is that it has an SR4 tranny. I want to replace it, but don't have the coin to replace both the 258 that's in it and the tranny at the same time. I want to put an NV3550 or 4500 in it, but also (next year) want to drop a 304 or 360 in it. I hear that the 258 and the 304/360 share an identical bellhousing - is this true? If I replace the transmission now, will I waste money on new adapters later connecting it up to the new V-8?

Thanks in advance for any help.

gestuhlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
Rockram1

As long as you stay in the Jeep family you will be okay. ie the 258 the 304,360.

Is there anything wrong with the sr4 now?
Save up the money and do both at the same time. Then you might decide to go Chevy power.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.