Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tranny swap

796 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  plain76cj5 
#1 ·
I have in my CJ a 3spd with 304 I am going to pick up a 4spd tom. out of a cj that I want to swap in it....Is this direct bolt in or what do I need to get?? Thanks for your help in advance..

#2 ·
We need a little more info to give you any advice. What year CJ?? What 3spd and transfer case now?? What 4 spd are you getting??

#3 ·
the cj is a 78 with a t150 not sure on teh transfer case has 304 in it.....I bought a t176 tranny dana 300 transfer case and it has the bellhousing on it also, I was told as long as I get a clutch kit out of a 80's model cj with a 6 or 8 cyclinder I should be ok.....is this true? And how do I measure for my driveshafts after the swap?

#4 ·
The T176, Dana 300 will bolt up to the motor without any problems. The T150 and T176 use the same bellhousing if it matters. You will need a skid plate out of an 80&up CJ. The Dana 300 hangs down further than your Dana 20 that you have now. The 80&up frames have skid plate holes in slightly different locations than the 76to79 frames. You will have to do a little work to get the 80&up skid plate to work.

Once the tranny and trans case is bolted into place, with the Jeep sitting on the ground (not jacked up with the wheels off of the ground), measure from the axle yoke to the trans case yoke, centers of the u-joint caps. That is referred to as the "running length" of the shaft. Just mention to the driveshaft shop that you measured it from center to center.

A clutch from an 80 or 81 should work.

#5 ·
thanks buddy so would it be easier to get a cross member from a 80's up cj or just to modify the one I have>? What kind of modifications would I need to do to get the 80s model to fit? thanks for the info...

#6 ·
The 80&up skid plates have more clearance for the Dana 300 case. You could modify the 76 to 79 skid plate, but it would probably be easier to adapt the 80&up skid to your frame. The problem is that the frame holes for the skid plates are in different locations. The last similar swap that I did was just the opposite of what you are doing. It was a T18/Dana 20 into a 82 Scrambler.
I used the 76 to 79 skid and made a 1 inch trans case drop bracket that served as an adapter. Basically, I drilled one side of the T-case drop to fit the frame and the other to match up with the skid plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.