tranny swap ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > tranny swap ?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 01-24-2002, 02:38 PM   #1
CJ5.0

tranny swap ?

I was told a T176 4spd. trans was a direct swap for a T150spd. Is this correct. I have 1978 cj5 with 304 and T150 and would like to change to a T176. 4wheel hardware has the same part number for both bellhousings so I'm thinking this might be true. Anyone know for sure?
Chip

CJ5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 04:25 PM   #2
chump

The bellhousing will bolt right up. You will have to change the pilot bushing, and clutch disc. I'm currently doing the same swap and I've gotten as far as the driveshafts. My T-176 is married to a Dana 300 and there is an adapter that makes the length of the whole setup a good bit longer so now my rear driveshaft needs to be shorter and the front longer. Now we're talking more money espesially if i go with a CV style driveshaft for the rear. Does anyone no a good bargain on driveshafts?
chump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 04:51 PM   #3
CJ5.0

Chump,
I have the Dana 20 transfer case and I could be wrong, but it looks like I won't be needing an adapter. As far as the driveshafts go, this is a ground up restoration and both of mine are shot. I'm having mine rebuilt locally for a little less than half of what new ones would cost. Thanks for the info.
Chip
CJ5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.