Tranny questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tranny questions

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 01-06-2002, 06:07 PM   #1
West

Tranny questions

My Jeep (84 CJ-7with a 258) has a 4 speed transmission with an iron case. Thats about all I know about it at this point. i'm kind of partial to 5 speeds for highway driving. Will a T5 bolt in without changing other things like flywheel, clutch, clutch linkage? Does anyone know the gearing of these 2 trannys? Any opinions on whether the swap is a good or bad idea? I'd be doing the work myself so the tranny would be the major expense.

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Ii you have a T-4, it's a direct swap. The probelm with the T-5 (and the T-4), is that it is a light-duty tranny, and many would not ever bother swapping it in. There are better options, even the AX-15, which was offered on some YJs, or the pricey NV4500, which will require lots of modification but will outlast the rest of the Jeep. Note, a World Class T-5 is a bit better, and is just a beefed-up verison of the T-5, so it will fit where a regular T-5 fits.

For T-5 ratios and everthing else you want to know about it:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/t5.html

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2002, 09:00 PM   #3
hamyscj

If your tranny has an iron case then it is not a t4 or sr4. It might be a t176 or someone might have swapped in a t18. Either of those last 2 are a desireable trans. If it is a t18 look at the casting # on the side of the shift tower. It should start with 1301-something or another. Keep it if it is. Later, Hamy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.