Trail CJ build ?'s this is long but I like to get others ideas. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Trail CJ build ?'s this is long but I like to get others ideas.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
texascj77

Trail CJ build ?'s this is long but I like to get others ideas.

I have been collecting CJ's for three years and still have the same decisions to make that I started with. I bought a 77 body on a 84 frame with worn 70something 304/t150/dana20, with a new pro comp 4" lift, and superior axle shafts rear, with wide track axles (2.73) gears on 33's and alum rims. The tub needed new floor boards front to rear, so I took it off and cut out the floorboards, now it sits that way.

I then bought a 86 sitting on a pair of 81 (narrow) axles with a trashed front ring and pinon, trashed frame, no engine, and a tub that needs steel replaced under the rollcage, and under the "JEEP" on the front rockers. So I took that body off of it and got about half the steel work done. I also bolted this 86 t176/D300 combo to my 304 with a new clutch in my 84 frame that has the lift and put in-frame headers and a flowmaster exhaust on the frame (still no body on it).

The 304 I have runs but it is tired, so I bought a 81 Cherokee Chief with a "built" 360/t176/208. I listened to the engine, it sounds good, has good oil psi and obviously has cam in it. It is still all bolted up and the Chief is complete minius driveshafts.

Now I bought a bone stock 83 cj7 with a worn out iron duke and near perfect everything else. I have been driving it everywhere, but the carb needs to be rebuild and it fogs mosquitos very well.

I also have a new centec harness and set of 1" body lift body mount kit, I also ended up with two decent sets of hard doors and a odd pickup cab that will fit a 7 with the factory roll cage still bolted in. Also have a couple of T18 ford trannys and 350/SM465 combo (the 350 is junk) but I would not mind using one of the granny 4 speeds, and buying a tcase adapter (would put jeep engine in front of the t18, or gm in front of the sm465).

Oh yea, got a 88 cherokee 4.0/auto that I rolled sitting in the warehouse too.

I want to end up with great trail rig (no lockers necessary type trails) and sell my leftovers to fund it. I dont mind buying another engine if the v8's I have are too much for a trail rig, and I prefer EFI. I will not separate the 83 frame and body. But will do whatever with the others as long as I have the leftovers to sell. I only want to keep one CJ.

I know I am rambling, thanks for looking. What ever suggestions you have will be considered. Is the procomp lift worth keeping for a trail rig on 33's? What is a good engine for trail rigs?

texascj77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

If you want EFI then use the 4.0 out of the cherokee, as long as the motor is in good shape. If you are running trails where you don't need lockers then you probably don't need a trans with a granny gear. I would use the T176 and D300 combo. Put the 4.0, T176, D300 in your 83 CJ. I would put the 1" body lift and procomp lift on it. That way when the procomp springs sag you will still have plenty of room for 33's with the 1" body lift. Sell the rest.

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
199 Jeep TJ 4cyl 5spd
1988 Jeep YJ 6cyl 5spd
1984 Jeep CJ7 6cyl 4spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
texascj77

Good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjinPA
If you want EFI then use the 4.0 out of the cherokee, as long as the motor is in good shape. If you are running trails where you don't need lockers then you probably don't need a trans with a granny gear. I would use the T176 and D300 combo. Put the 4.0, T176, D300 in your 83 CJ. I would put the 1" body lift and procomp lift on it. That way when the procomp springs sag you will still have plenty of room for 33's with the 1" body lift. Sell the rest.
All this 4.0 needs is new injectors. I have looked into installing it. What is the best way to put the cam sensor in the 4.0 swap? Hesco relocation kit or Novak kit, or others? How will it be with 33's on 3.55 axles with the t176?
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

I believe it is Novak that will drill your current bellhousing for a factory cam sensor. That is the way I would do it if I were you. I personally wouldn't elect to use an 88 motor on account of the Renix injection, but If it were my only fuel injected option, I would do it. Also, if you don't want that CJ half-cab, sell it. If you have the bulkhead and everything for it that thing is worth some serious coin in good shape.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
texascj77

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman1990
I believe it is Novak that will drill your current bellhousing for a factory cam sensor. That is the way I would do it if I were you. I personally wouldn't elect to use an 88 motor on account of the Renix injection, but If it were my only fuel injected option, I would do it. Also, if you don't want that CJ half-cab, sell it. If you have the bulkhead and everything for it that thing is worth some serious coin in good shape.
If I am going to spend the coin for the 4.0 swap I will probably get a later engine, which is the easiest/best year?
I have the bulkhead and the little L pieces that fit around the rollcage. It has one little 1" crack at the bottom that I plan on getting fixed, still original white gelcoat and in good shape I plan on selling it. Any ideas on value?
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascj77
If I am going to spend the coin for the 4.0 swap I will probably get a later engine, which is the easiest/best year?
I have the bulkhead and the little L pieces that fit around the rollcage. It has one little 1" crack at the bottom that I plan on getting fixed, still original white gelcoat and in good shape I plan on selling it. Any ideas on value?
OBD1 (91-95) engine and set-up would be easiest to do. In that setup their are 5 wires you have to splice, and that is it. That sounds like an OEM CJ8 half cab. If you get it fixed and it's in the shape you say, it could sell for I'd guess around $800 or higher. Do you have any pics of the cab?
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
texascj77

No cab pics.

I will get some. I don't think it is a factory cj8 cab because it will fit around a cj7 rollbar in the stock location, but I have only seen a few cj8 halftops and it has been a while.
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascj77
I will get some. I don't think it is a factory cj8 cab because it will fit around a cj7 rollbar in the stock location, but I have only seen a few cj8 halftops and it has been a while.
A style or B style bar? If it was an A style bar, an OEM CJ8 top will fit a 7 with no problem.
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
texascj77

Whatever comes on a 86

Quote:
A style or B style bar? If it was an A style bar, an OEM CJ8 top will fit a 7 with no problem.
This top is setting on my 86 CJ tub, with whatever rollbar came in it.
Unread 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Everything is big in Texas.
Where do you live ?
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Does the front go onto the rear inner fender, or to the body?
Unread 09-18-2007, 12:14 AM   #12
texascj77

Near San Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily
Everything is big in Texas.
Where do you live ?
In the woods west of you.
Unread 09-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #13
texascj77

Not really following you.

Quote:
Does the front go onto the rear inner fender, or to the body?
Oh the rollbar, to the lower body.
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
texascj77

I got some pics of the hardtop.

How do I post them up? Pretty good at typing, that's where my computer skills start to suffer.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.