traction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > traction

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
wilf

traction

I have stock axles and gears in my 80 cj5 jeep and the axles are stock dana 30 and amc 20 right? I put a 4 inch lift and 33x12.50x15 boggers on 15x8 wheels. it has the stock gm 151 (iron duke). i counted the ring and pinion and it has 3.54 gears with the rear having the limited slip or so the letter N stamped on it tells me. i am worried i will get stuck and only one of my front tires will spin and this will seriously make me mad. what does the front have in it limited slip or is it open? i would like to put one piece axles and lockers but that is in the future. thanks, blake.

wilf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
nickdz

My 80 CJ7 came with a 151 "Iron Duke" and it's gears are 3.54 with a limited slip AMC 20 rear axle (stamped with an "N"). My dana 30 front axle was an open diff. I haven't heard of any front axles comming with limited slip, but that doesn't mean that none did nor that yours doesn't currently have a limited slip. I would jack up the fron end and run some simple "spin the wheel" tests to make sure.

FYI...I installed a lock-right locker in my Dana 30 this past weekend. So far I am very pleased with the results. I have ordered an automatic locker for the rear as well and plan on installing it within a few weeks. Let me know if you have any questions.
- Locked All Around
- Mastercraft Seats
- Durabak Interior and Exterior
- KargoMaster Cage
- Way too many minor repairs/upgrades to list (emphasis on "repairs")
nickdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2004, 06:48 AM   #3
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest that if you lock the front you lock the back. I had a limited slip in my rear 44. I upgraded to a lock right in the front. This made it much easier to "hop" up on stuff. But I had a near roll caused by (I like to blame my equipment rather than my own inabilities ) this combination. I was heading up a rock. Once the front came over the top it popped up a little loosing traction. The limited slip drove one tire (or the driving tire was in loose stuff) causing me to do a ballet move on one rear tire before it luckily slammed down. I thought I was scared until I looked at the guys watching me. They thought I was going turtle. The guy in front of me had a rear locker and a open front and had no issues. Softer springs and a rear locker and I can go up it like driving into my driveway.
Unread 12-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Limited slip is worthless in anything except mild muddy conditions.
Your front is open. 3.54 w/ 33's is cool.

Lock up the front...but if you do... upgrade your shafts and u-joints. They won't last long locked up.
Unread 12-22-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams68
Limited slip is worthless in anything except mild muddy conditions.
Your front is open. 3.54 w/ 33's is cool.

Lock up the front...but if you do... upgrade your shafts and u-joints. They won't last long locked up.
Actually 3.54's with 33 and a four banger is a lousy combination. I would say at least 4.10's with the 4 banger and probably 4.56 or even 4.88 for really decent prformance.

Not all limited slips are the same. I used to have a TracLoc and it was worthless but since my sister-in-law drives my CJ-5 I decided to go to an Auburn instead of a locker. The Auburn seems to be quite tight and the improvement in traction very noticeable. I had an old CJ-6 with a Power Lok and performance was really great too. Depends on what your four wheeling requirements are. If you get your wheels off the ground a lot then I would say a locker is in order.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #6
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

You're assuming he trails his vehicle to go offroading. With the ratios you're suggesting, his gas mileage will plummet as his 3 or 4 spd tranny sounds like a bee-hive going down the street at 3800 rpm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.