Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Towing / driveshaft removal?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DShizzle 
#1 ·
About to tow my 76' CJ5 to deer lease 200 mi. When I was a kid my dad always pulled the driveshaft when towing. I have some friends telling me that I do not have to....I'd like to hear from someone who knows.

#4 ·
It's not going to hurt it to leave the driveshaft on. As mentioned above, just make sure your transmission and transfer case are in neutral and your front hubs are unlocked. I towed my CJ a little ways to get it painted and it did fine just like that. If you are using a tow bar, you will also want to keep the keys in the ignition so the steering wheel doesn't lock, or you're going to catch hell going around turns. You still have to take turns pretty easy or you're going to get some chirping and tugging from behind...

#5 ·
White92 said:
If you just put everything in neutral (trans, transfer case) you won't have any worries. Oh and disconnect the speedo cable from behind the dash ;)
Put the transmission in gear or park and the transfer in neutral. With the trans in neutral the oil spinning around in the transfer case can actually drive the output shaft of the transmission causing the pocket bearings where the input and output shaft meet to starve for oil. These bearings rely on the counter gear to be rotating to oil them. Without the input turning the counter gear also is not turning not allowing oil to get where it needs to go. Best bet is to remove drive shaft. I've had to throw a lot of transmissions away because they welded themselves together or burned up the input and output shaft because of towing with the trans in neutral. Nickmil

#9 ·
Thanks for the info.:wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.