Towing a CJ7 with a Cherokee - Wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Towing a CJ7 with a Cherokee - Wiring

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-29-2002, 04:32 PM   #1
sswilcox
1985 CJ7 

Towing a CJ7 with a Cherokee - Wiring

I am wanting to flat tow my CJ7 behind my Cherokee. I've already got the tow bar, hitch, etc. all set up. The only thing left is the wiring. Prepping the Cherokee with a 'trailer' harness is simple enough, but I'm curious if there is a way to connect directly into the CJ's existing electrical system and utilize it's tail lights and turn signals. Or do I have to act like a tow truck and buy those magnetic trailer lights?
It'd be great if there is just a simple way to plug one into the other.
Any help is appreciated.

sswilcox

sswilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2002, 04:57 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by sswilcox:
<strong>I am wanting to flat tow my CJ7 behind my Cherokee. I've already got the tow bar, hitch, etc. all set up. The only thing left is the wiring. Prepping the Cherokee with a 'trailer' harness is simple enough, but I'm curious if there is a way to connect directly into the CJ's existing electrical system and utilize it's tail lights and turn signals. Or do I have to act like a tow truck and buy those magnetic trailer lights?
It'd be great if there is just a simple way to plug one into the other.
Any help is appreciated.

sswilcox</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am considering this also since I'm tired of using the magnetic lights. I checked the wiring harness and the rear loom unplugs close to the e-brake handle. I've heard there is a company that makes a plug and harness that inserts into the loom at this spot. I just haven't had time to research it yet. Hopefully someone here will know the answer and save me/us some work!
Unread 05-30-2002, 05:03 PM   #3
MR.CJ-7

I spliced into my wiring loom, but found out that the signal will backfeed through the turn signal switch, so you either need to get a diode or do what I did, which was put two toggle switches(one for left and one for right) in line between the turn signal switch in the column and the tail lights. That way when flat towing you can put the toggles in the "off" position and the signal won't backfeed. I have towed many miles this way and it works great. One plus is that when you hook up running lights you get all the running lights on your CJ. I put a seven-way truck end connector on my front winch plate and made a cord to go from my truck's 7-way to my CJ's 7-way. That way when not towing you don't have a cord on your CJ to worry about.

Just my $0.02
Unread 06-02-2002, 09:16 PM   #4
Buff4lo

go buy three spools of three different colors of wire (white black and red?) Also get two replacement bulbs for your tailights (two filaments)and two generic bulb sockets. Glue the new bulb sockets into the tailight assy.'s and run wire from both new 'tailights' to the front of your Jeep. Put a 7-pin connector in your Jeep grill and wire up the lights. Then build a jumper wiring harness that attaches to your tow bar and connects your Jeeps together.

I did this on my CJ so I could flat tow it also. This is exactly the same concept as the magnetic light but it is clean and built in! Good luck.

Buff4lo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.