towing a CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > towing a CJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-26-2002, 07:22 AM   #1
cjryder

towing a CJ

Howdy all.
I heard that while towing a CJ, a dana 20 t-case won't lubricate adequately. Is this true? What do I do about it?

Unread 06-26-2002, 07:36 AM   #2
MR.CJ-7

I heard the same thing about my D300, but haven't had any problems. I suppose if you are worried about it you could put the warn full floater kit on the rear axle. When I tow mine I put the trans. in park, the T-case in N and go. Sometimes I put in the front hubs, with my locker it seems to center the wheels better after a corner but maybe its just in my head.

Just my $.02 worth
Unread 06-26-2002, 07:24 PM   #3
cjdriver

Not sure about the 20 but the 300 for sure does not lubricate the rear output bearing when it is being towed. That TC uses the spinning of the mainshaft to fling and lubricate the bearing, so when it is in neutral being towed you are not getting any lubrication. As long as its short distances not a problem, but if you go any distance you need to do something about it.

One thing is to stop every 50 miles or so and drive it around to lube the bearing, but I think it is much easier to just remove the drive line. Thats what I always did. It takes 10 minutes if you are slow. 8 little bolts and you can just pop it out and go. This is the best way.
Unread 06-27-2002, 10:47 AM   #4
cjryder

Thanks for the feedback
Seeing as how I already bought the tow bar, this is all good news.
Unread 06-27-2002, 04:14 PM   #5
MR.CJ-7

owner's manual says on the 300 to stop every 300 miles or so and shift transmission into gear, leave T-case in neutral and run the engine for a few minutes to lube the bearing. My trips are always about 250 miles so I don't bother with stopping to lube it.
Unread 06-27-2002, 04:28 PM   #6
cjdriver

300 sounds better, I knew it was something but could not remember exactly. I just took out the shaft and had nothing to worry about.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.