Towing with 4 down - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
pnorris
1976 CJ7 

Towing with 4 down

I know this question has been ask a 1000 times, believe me I seach the forum all weekend, but never got a warm and fussy answer in my case. I have a 1976 CJ7 w/I6,400 auto tranny w/ Quadra-Trac transfer case & full time 4WD. What is the proper way to tow it. Will it damage it to tow a long ways?

Last edited by pnorris; 03-03-2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: It's Quadra trac, not Quadtra tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 AM
jayhawkclint

1970 CJ5 

I've flat towed several jeeps as far as 900+ miles. If you're going a long way, I've found for fuel economy purposes it's best to remove the rear driveshaft, unlock the front hubs, trans/t-case in neutral, and remove the windshield and top (store them in your tow rig).

My '70 CJ5 Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 AM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

Google.

I 'lifted' this from: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm Since it's from Auto Zone, take it for what it's worth.....

"If your Jeep must be towed, follow these guidelines:

A Jeep with a manual transmission can be towed with either all four wheels or either axle on the ground for any distance at a safe speed with both the transmission and transfer case in Neutral. (Edit: I believe there are oiling issues with the Dana 300 Tcase that should be addressed.)

To tow a Jeep with an automatic transmission and Quadra-TracŪ, the driveshaft to the axle(s) remaining on the ground must be disconnected. Be sure to index mark the driveshafts and yoke flanges for alignment upon assembly. Also, the driveshafts must be tied securely up out of the way or removed completely while the vehicle is being towed.

A Jeep equipped with an automatic transmission and Quadra-TracŪ with the optional low range reduction unit can be towed with all four wheels on the ground without disconnecting the driveshafts. Place the transmission shift lever in Park, the low range reduction unit shift lever in Neutral, and the emergency drive control knob in the Normal position. If the emergency drive system was engaged when the engine was shut down, it will have to be restarted and the emergency drive control knob turned to the Normal position to disengage the system since the control mechanism is vacuum operated.

WARNING

Never tow the Jeep with the emergency drive system engaged or the reduction unit in low range!

In all cases, unnecessary wear and tear can be avoided by disconnecting the driveshafts at the differentials and either tying them up out of the way or removing them altogether. Be sure to index mark the driveshafts and yoke flanges for proper alignment during assembly. If the Jeep is equipped with free running front hubs (manual transmission only), there is no need to remove the front driveshaft, simply disengage the hubs."

"In the end...It's all Hack."

Last edited by HackFabrication; 03-03-2008 at 06:58 AM.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 AM
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

2x's on what Hack posted. I "flat towed" my 77' with Quadra-Trac and the turbo 400 when I move to my new house. About 30 miles give or take. I just marked the yokes at the axle end, unbolted the shafts, tied them up out of the way under the Jeep and hooked up the tow bar. Hope this helps. Goodluck.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
pnorris
1976 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I will tow it with or without the drive shafts in place. I just hate to crawl under the jeep to do it every time, but still thanks for the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.