TOTW Fuel Injection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TOTW Fuel Injection

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 08-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

TOTW Fuel Injection

How much hp gain would be realized by doing this swap? Or is it just a reliability issue? I have a 1985 258. I have the original aluminum intake with all of the smog stuff and an older steel intake without it. Which one would be better? Since all I have are the old 2 bbl and 1 bbl carters that need to be rebuilt I am thinking about going this route. Would a header be of any hp benefit with this scenario? Fuel milage increase? We don't have smog tests in our area so that isn't a conern. Thanks

DUX4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
CSP

How many threads are there on this subject already?

Throttle body injection won't yield more horsepower if your engine is tuned correctly as it sits. If it runs like crap you'll notice a difference.

Multi-port injection will yield horsepower gains, though they won't be huge.

In the end it comes down to drivability, reliability, and if those two items are worth it to you to either spend the money for a kit or invest the time it takes to figure out how to do it yourself and save some cash. It still isn't cheap to do it yourself, but you can save a significant amount and learn something in the process.

Lots of info has already been posted here and on the rest of the web.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Thanks, right now My engine is on a stand and the frame is painted. Adding things as they are being cleaned up and repaired. All I have is 2 old carbs and 2 diferent intakes. The carbs need to be rebuilt and I ain't a carb man. The write up on the injection was pretty stright forward and seems to be very affordable if I do it myself. Thats the way I am leaning towards. But when I started this project I wanted a simple uncomplicated jeep from the 70's. I may have to adapt though. FI seems to work pretty good when it is working.
Unread 08-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The kit for the 2BBl carb is only about $20.00 and is easy to put in.

You can also easily kill the computer and get a nice HP increase as well as over 20 mpg with all your stock stuff still.

Here is one writeup on killing the computer: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Should I ditch the 1bbl and use the 2bbl that came with the 1985 engine or both and get another carb? Also should I ditch the steel or aluminum factory intake?
Unread 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The 2BBl and aluminum heated intake from the 85 work great.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.