TOTW Fuel Injection - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TOTW Fuel Injection

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #46
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Go with the HEI if you want, that's part of our writeup and you can follow along with that too.

The adapter plate is has 4 holes that are parallel to screw into the 4 holes on your intake, but the GM TBI has 3 holes that are offset kinda strange and that makes the adapter appear to be cock-eyed one way.

Here's a pic of it going on the manifold.

Unread 02-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #47
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Your spacer looks nice.

Did you have it mahcined for the junkyard TBI? Could I ask about cost? I'm calling the machine shop here Monday to see if they can use the CAD drawings.

More questions....

I have a intake I bought off a 84' or 85' 258.

Has a bunch of sensors and wires on it. Also has a couple extra threaded holes in it, the only one I know what to do with is prolly for the PCV.

Is there a good pic floating around showing whats what?

HEI is on the yes list.

Waht did you think of the price the yard gace me?

$200 OK, or should I check another yard?

Thanks,
Blair
Unread 02-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #48
ChiliPepperTJ

Just an FYI, I am not doing the knock sensor. I have it bypassed with the ecu. OK well the new hardwood floor is down in the kitchen so the jeep tbi is now a priority again, after being on eht back burner for yesterday and friday. I'm gonna see what I can get done to the cj tomorrow today.
Kevin
84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258,GM TBI w/ ESC, HEI, T-5, D300, D30, AMC 20 w/ trac loc and superior shafts, 2.5" BDS lift, 1" daystar BL, MORE shackles, Tie rod flip, 33" Swamper SSR's, Full cage, OBA, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, Warn 9.5ti, Taurus fan, Herc'd tub, LED tail lights, Hand throttle, Hella Fogs, Hella headlight conversion, more to come...

02 WJ Limited, 4.7 H.O., RB1 Nav, DD and toddler hauler

Checkout my Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
ChiliPepperTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2006, 05:15 AM   #49
Bill USN-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams68
What I'd like is someone who is willing to burn chips on the cheap.
Howell charged me $100.... it was worth it, but I still think I need a little tweak at full throttle.

For $130 you can DIY over and over and over till it is how you like it!!!

DIY logging and tuning

Then do your buddies....then his buddies.......then your clubs............
Unread 02-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #50
Bill USN-1

Quote:
Waht did you think of the price the yard gace me?

$200 OK, or should I check another yard?
That's what I paid for my first pull it myself system. It was good learning experience but now I just buy them off ebay or from a friend of a friend...

I will never pay more than $200 for a complete system.

Just saw one on ebay last night go for $150 + $30 shipping is $180 to your door!!

But if you never pulled one before...it's good learning!!

Here is a link with a list of all the parts you need.

There is also a thread on distr requirements!!

FI requirement threads
Unread 02-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #51
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The adapter plate will need to be made or bought. Howell won't sell one. To my knowledge there is nothing to take off a junker and modify. I made mine.

I gave $100 for my junkyard stuff and I had to pull it. I have done a fair amount of business with the guy so I might get better pricing. $180 to my door without giving myself a 20 year old grease bath doesn't sound too bad either. The nice thing about pulling it yourself is you can get everything including old sensers & relays. The bad side is you have old sensers & relays .
Unread 02-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #52
jlynch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have specs for an adapter for a 304?
jlynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #53
Bill USN-1

Quote:
You don't really need them unless you want to make your own instead of buying the holley or transdapt adapter.
If you go the FI requirements link above I list all the standard 2 and 4 barrel adapters and the adapter measurements if you want to make your own.

I used to make mine out of alum plate but now it is almost cheaper to buy them.
Unread 02-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #54
ChiliPepperTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynch
You should be able to find an adapter plate to fit a 304 at a parts store. The problem is with the one for the 258's because its an odd shape going from a rectahgle 4 bolt pattern to the 3 bolts of the tb.
Kevin
84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258,GM TBI w/ ESC, HEI, T-5, D300, D30, AMC 20 w/ trac loc and superior shafts, 2.5" BDS lift, 1" daystar BL, MORE shackles, Tie rod flip, 33" Swamper SSR's, Full cage, OBA, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, Warn 9.5ti, Taurus fan, Herc'd tub, LED tail lights, Hand throttle, Hella Fogs, Hella headlight conversion, more to come...

Checkout my Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
Unread 02-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #55
jlynch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I'll check the local parts store.
jlynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #56
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

I plan on checking another yard close to my house. Maybe get a deal ther, it just changed hands and they are restocking.

I'll look at ebay tonight.

After reading your site Bill, are the adaptors mentioned, can they be used for the 258 on the Jeep? I'm still looking at getting one made possibly, unless I can find one cheaper to buy.

Will I have to mod the HEI to work with the GM setup?

Chili, you say you bypassed a sensor. Is this going to be in your guys writeup?

When you bypass something, do you have to change the ECU or what?

Will I have to get a new chip burned for the Junkyard TBI on the heep?

Bill, on your page, you mention getting the right computer and replacing chips,
is this for the IH's only?

Thanks guys, off to ebay
Blair
Unread 02-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #57
Bill USN-1

Quote:
After reading your site Bill, are the adaptors mentioned, can they be used for the 258 on the Jeep?
Nope, IIRC the jeep has a rochester pattern. The adapters for 2 barrels are for the holley/ford pattrern. I just went back up and was looking to see if someone else started making them.

You might want to give AFI a call. Norm does a lot of different engines and may already have an adapter he would sell. The link is listed in my FAQ's.

Quote:
Will I have to mod the HEI to work with the GM setup?
Yes. It was posted on here earlier and is also in my FAQ's for distr's.
You can use the magnetic pick up in your distr but it needs to change from the 4 pin to the 7 or 8 pin module for EFI. 7 goes inside, 8 mounts outside the distr.

Quote:
Chili, you say you bypassed a sensor. Is this going to be in your guys writeup?
When you bypass something, do you have to change the ECU or what?
The wiring bypass for the ESC and knock sensor is something I started about 1 1/2 ago. it was an experiment to keep from having to burn a new chip just to eliminate the knock circuit. It worked and now no more SES light when you get rid of the ESC module.
The bypass is in my wiring thread. It's probably the only place you will see it, (except for here now)

Quote:
Will I have to get a new chip burned for the Junkyard TBI on the heep?
As jadams can attest to...when you put a system on a motor it was not designed for, there can be minor tuning that is required. You are using a system from a short runner V6 and mounting it on a long runner inline 6. the fuel and spark should be adjusted.
The motor will run fine and it may run real good compared to what you had..but it still should be tuned...after you start logging data.

Quote:
Bill, on your page, you mention getting the right computer and replacing chips,
is this for the IH's only?
Nope, you can use a 1227747 that was originally in a V8 for your 6 cyl. But you have to change the main chip and the limphome chip with the 6 cyl chips. Sometimes you can't always find the computer you want in the JY.

You can have an ECM go bad but the chips still be good, so you can just swap the chips.

I always recommend getting the engine running and all bugs worked out while still running the stock chip. Providing you picked a system that closely matches yours!!
Unread 02-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #58
ChiliPepperTJ

I was just figuring out the distributor setup and had a few questions. Whats the difference between the 7 pin and the 8 pin ignition module? Which wire does the 8 pin have that the 7 pin doesn't. Also I remember that cj51973 said that you can use the 7 pin as an internal ignition mod on the dist but the 8 wouldn't fit because 2 plugs on it exit the dist. If I remove the old ignintion mod and vacuum advance does anyone think there would be enough room for the 8 pin in there. I was also going to dremel some material off the base of the dist so the plugs would exit to the outside of the dist and the ecm can plug into it and the plug that goes to the coil (C and B+ marked on the cap). The last 2 wires would go to the pickup inside the dist. I am using the hei large cap dist.
Thanks,
Kevin

Unread 02-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #59
Aphelion79

Tomorrow The Junkard Is Gonna Get Hit!

Ok guys, tomorrow is the day for pillaging the local junkyard;

I called some parts stores, said I would like to compare part numbers for an 82 CJ7 with 151 4-cyl to a 1984 Pontiac 6000 with a 151 4-cyl... I wanted to know if the intake manifold and exhaust manifold gaskets were the same... thinking if those are exact, all I need to do is just snag the whole intake manifold, and exhaust manifold (for the oxygen sensor, but I will see if its worth taking the exhaust mani. or just welding in an oxygen sensor thread piece on my existing one) but either way,

They were exact matches! yay!

So I made up a list today of stuff I could think of to grab off of the donor vehicle(s).
  • Intake Manifold
  • Exhaust Manifold
  • Distributor
  • Wiring Harness
  • ECU
  • Oxygen Sensor (if not snagging the whole Ex. Mani. / Buy new)
  • The Throttle Body (Comes with Intake Mani.)
  • Air Cleaner Assy.
  • Coil
  • Knock Sensor (Part of the Manifold I assume?)
  • Knock Control Module (using ur site binderbulletin.com for pictures lol)
  • MAP Sensor (comes on manifold again I assume?)
  • Temperature Sender (Wire this into my current dash heat sender or replace that with this ?)
  • What is this EST thing?
  • Fuel Pump Relay
  • Power Relay
But what other stuff should I look for?
  • Other Sensors?
  • Relays?
  • ETC.
EDIT: I'm gonna buy these parts new:
  • EDIT: Forgot to add FUEL PUMP
  • Throttle Body Rebuild Kit* (I.E. new o'rings gaskets, seals etc. *whatever its called)
  • Probably buy new Oxygen Sensor

Thanks again!
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear

Last edited by Aphelion79; 02-06-2006 at 06:49 PM..
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #60
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The 8th pin is the ground (right Bill?). The seven pin is a direct bolt in and the eight pin will require modifications to get it in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.