TOTW Fuel Injection - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TOTW Fuel Injection

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #31
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys.

Chili,

thanks for writing it all out for me there. You guys got some time invested for sure and I really appreciate your help answering my questions directly.

Jadams,

Thanks for double checking it and updating it.

I'm headed to the pick n pull tomorrow, praying for no rain.

One last question....

IS there a specific donor that you guys think would be better for any reason than another?

Say a 91' S10 versus a 89 1500 for example........and why so?

Many, many thanks.

Blair

Unread 02-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #32
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My '89 S10 Blazer went well. I liked the grommet at the firewall. They're all basically the same. I listed my ECU number earlier in this thread. It's not the same number as the two that always pop up but the harness is the same and it worked fine. It all worked together in the same vehicle so it ought to still work together on a different vehicle.
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #33
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Cool.

I'm hoping to find everything I need in one spot. I know, unlikely, but I'm going to try nonetheless. Try to counteract my inexperience byt getting it all the easiest route possible.

Thanks,
Cj
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #34
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Hey guys,

I hotlinked, (I think), your CAD picks on a local club website. A guy said he might be able to ghave HIS machinst friend make me one up.

Is that cool? SHould I haved asked first before posting them there?

I can remove them and link the Busted site if you guys prefer......

Thanks,
Blair
Unread 02-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #35
ChiliPepperTJ

For vehicles look for some thing that has some body panels that are removed so its easy for you . The 92 chevy truck I got my harness from had almost the whole front end off and it was pretty easy, I still took about 40 minutes to remove. Good luck with the search. Hopefully I'll get to pu this on sunday morning not sure though, have a house project going too...
Kevin
84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258,GM TBI w/ ESC, HEI, T-5, D300, D30, AMC 20 w/ trac loc and superior shafts, 2.5" BDS lift, 1" daystar BL, MORE shackles, Tie rod flip, 33" Swamper SSR's, Full cage, OBA, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, Warn 9.5ti, Taurus fan, Herc'd tub, LED tail lights, Hand throttle, Hella Fogs, Hella headlight conversion, more to come...

02 WJ Limited, 4.7 H.O., RB1 Nav, DD and toddler hauler

Checkout my Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
ChiliPepperTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #36
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did the drawings. The two barrel versions are based on the dimensioned pictures that are on that web sight. The 1 barrel works because that's what I made and used. I guess what I'm saying is double check the:

1. Manifold bolt pattern and bolt size. The way it's drawn it's for 3/8 socket head cap screws with hi-collar lock washers.
2. The actual hole in the manifold where the gas/air goes through.

The Howell plate is made for the gas line to be in the back. This puts the throttle connection toward the drivers side fender. On my 1 barrel I turn it so the fuel is in the front and the throttle is closer to the valve cover. This made it a straight pull to the pedal. I actually have a straight, un-sleeved cable working my throttle. Nothing to gum up or bind.

I have no issue with these drawings being used by the masses. I would like to be told if something is wrong with the two barrel version so I can update the prints if necessary. I have nothing to check them with.
Unread 02-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #37
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973
I did the drawings. The two barrel versions are based on the dimensioned pictures that are on that web sight. The 1 barrel works because that's what I made and used. I guess what I'm saying is double check the:

1. Manifold bolt pattern and bolt size. The way it's drawn it's for 3/8 socket head cap screws with hi-collar lock washers.
2. The actual hole in the manifold where the gas/air goes through.

The Howell plate is made for the gas line to be in the back. This puts the throttle connection toward the drivers side fender. On my 1 barrel I turn it so the fuel is in the front and the throttle is closer to the valve cover. This made it a straight pull to the pedal. I actually have a straight, un-sleeved cable working my throttle. Nothing to gum up or bind.

I have no issue with these drawings being used by the masses. I would like to be told if something is wrong with the two barrel version so I can update the prints if necessary. I have nothing to check them with.

I have a 85'? intake sitting in the kitchen. I'll check the bolt holes and take some measurements to try and help verify some measurements.

Thanks for the heads up on the drawings. There is a local club that I posted on to try and locate a machinist in towards the city.

Blair
Unread 02-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #38
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Feel free to promote those drawings... And as Tom mentioned above...if you find an error, let us know.
Unread 02-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #39
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

You got it. Like to help in any way possible.
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #40
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

What I'd like is someone who is willing to burn chips on the cheap.
Howell charged me $100.... it was worth it, but I still think I need a little tweak at full throttle.
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #41
Aphelion79

Ok guys I think I understand what I need to actually run the TBI... but what about ignition? Can't i just keep my distributor or does the computer controll the ignition with the TBI swap? I don't understand more than what a Distributor is... never played with anything else! HEI, etc are all forign words to me lol

So if someone could elaborate?
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 02:55 AM   #42
ChiliPepperTJ

Hei is HighEnergy Ignition. Its Chevy's high power ignition Ford has the TFI Thick Film Ignition. Either will work. I have never run tfi but when I put the hei in my cj it ran like it had 2 more cylinders. I can get the 258 up to 4000rpm's, woohoo. Theres 2 ways to run a TBI setup. They are ecm controlling fuel, or fuel and timing. If you have the howell kit it just controld the fuel distribution and not the timing. Everything I have read here says its better to do the timing, so I am going to do that (maybe it will run like a 4.0L) . I believe you can make the junkyard TBI to run off of just fuel but I remember reading that it would put it into limp home mode or something like that, Bill or cj51973, can you confirm this?
Kevin
84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258,GM TBI w/ ESC, HEI, T-5, D300, D30, AMC 20 w/ trac loc and superior shafts, 2.5" BDS lift, 1" daystar BL, MORE shackles, Tie rod flip, 33" Swamper SSR's, Full cage, OBA, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, Warn 9.5ti, Taurus fan, Herc'd tub, LED tail lights, Hand throttle, Hella Fogs, Hella headlight conversion, more to come...

02 WJ Limited, 4.7 H.O., RB1 Nav, DD and toddler hauler

Checkout my Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
ChiliPepperTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #43
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Howell kits bypass the ECU timing control and are fuel only controlled kits.
They run great, but the way Kevin is going is optimal with the knock sensor and computer controlled timing.

I may actually move to an HEI distributor myself and ECU controlled spark to gain some performance and smooth out my knock counts.

We'll have all of this written up for you guys... just let us go through the painful process, tears, blood, money, fits of crying on each others shoulder when kevin's jeep doesn't fire.....and after we fix it, you guys can avoid the hassles :-)
Unread 02-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #44
Aphelion79

And I'll keep you 4 cyl guys posted (who keeps thier 4 cyl anyway? gotta be at least 2 of you lol)... because as far as I can tell all I gotta do is just rip stuff off and bolt it on mine I'm junkyard hopping tomorrow... and I will probably have a LOT of questions then!
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #45
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

I'm patiently following your write-ups. Right now, I think I'm going to pull parts and get the harness ironed out. Rebuild the TB too.

I found a 90' GMC Jimmy with a 4.3 today. It's all there. Any reason to look at anything else? Like cj said above, it should work right? The computers shouldn't be any majorly different from vehicle to vehicle as long as you find a 4.3 donor?

Guy at the yard said $200 for everything if I pull it. Seemed kinda steep to me, but I guess since the computer is part of the setup it's OK.

Just for clarification, you guys think it's cool to get a HEI? I was looking around but the yards here in stickville are picked clean.

About the spacer, maybe I need to read your directions again, but why is the spacer cockeyed in relation to the holes and not parallel to one side?

Thanks,
Blair

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.