Total Score This Week! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Total Score This Week!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Closed Thread
Unread 07-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Total Score This Week!

I've been looking to buy a radiator for a while and looked for one at a reasonable price. The best deal I could find was an aluminum radiator on Ebay for about $160 shipped. So the day I go to buy it, there was one listed for "buy it now" for $89.95 including free shipping. I thought that it might be a used one but it said "new". I bought it, paid for it immediately and waited. The next day I got an email from the seller saying that his colleague listed it for the wrong price and that I needed to send him $60 more dollars before he could ship it. He also put in his response "Waiting for your nice response"
Me being the cheapskate that I am, called Ebay and asked them if this was even possible. Their response was that the seller could lose his Ebay account for doing that. They sent him an email stating that he had to send it for the listed and paid for price. I sent him an email that said that I bought an item for $89.95 and I expect the item for $89.95. That's as nice as your going to get from me. It got here yesterday, and it was installed today........for $89.95

Unread 07-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Hopefully his colleague pays him the $60. can't blame you for sticking to the agreed price, may have been an honest mistake, may not have been. If it was, I bet it won't happen again.
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you ever made a mistake and someone then takes advantage of your mistake?

It sucks.

Sorry, I side with the seller on this one.
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
Have you ever made a mistake and someone then takes advantage of your mistake?
I have. I accepted responsibility for it, and learned my lesson the next time.

The seller could also be a scammer, and advertise low prices, and hit everybody up for money after the sale. Pretty good racket to take advantage of "nice" people.
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Once I made a mistake selling something.....once. It will never happen again. There's a lot of people that sell stuff cheap on Ebay and then charge you super high shipping prices so that they don't have to pay the fees to Ebay. I'm betting that this guy was doing it to save money on the fees. He doesn't have the best feedback and there was negative feedback on a radiator sale a little while ago.
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereussailor View Post
Once I made a mistake selling something.....once. It will never happen again. There's a lot of people that sell stuff cheap on Ebay and then charge you super high shipping prices so that they don't have to pay the fees to Ebay. I'm betting that this guy was doing it to save money on the fees. He doesn't have the best feedback and there was negative feedback on a radiator sale a little while ago.
I agree if the guy is a ******, then I would have bought ten.

I guess I want to trust people too much.

Unread 07-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
bptactical

I would have offered to split the difference with the seller.
That way your both doing the right thing.
Unread 07-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereussailor View Post
The fees are now collected on ship costs too...so no way round any fees for a seller.....

Had one cancel on me because it did not get bid high enuff and I won......poopy seller......most sellers are great....but some are shiesters.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unread 07-24-2014, 03:26 AM   #9
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

Seller beware, this was a low price but not absurdly so. If he wants to carelessly give prices, that is his business.

Neuresailor, you were quite right to insist the price was honoured.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bptactical
I would have offered to split the difference with the seller. That way your both doing the right thing.
No one did anything wrong so there is no "right thing". Ever seen correction notices printed in flyers correcting the advertises prices? It happens frequently and I assure you the companies that do so don't insist people buying those items square up to cover their mistake. Honor your advertised prices, It's called good business practice.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
Unread 07-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
hicks1983
1985 CJ7 

You took advantage of someone's mistake. The right thing to do would've been to cancel the transaction, not force the mistake to be held up unfairly to your advantage.
Unread 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks1983 View Post
You took advantage of someone's mistake. The right thing to do would've been to cancel the transaction, not force the mistake to be held up unfairly to your advantage.
The guy was a scam artist with complaints from trying the same con job on others.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 07-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

It would be a different story if it was a forum member with a great record of selling stuff. If they misprinted a price, and let me know, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Cancel the deal, work out a middle ground, or pay full price if I thought it was worth it.
Not knowing if the Ebay seller was trying to pull a scam or not, I would have had him honor the listed price.No doubt about that.
Unread 07-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
hicks1983
1985 CJ7 

Perhaps, but I think that demanding to pay the typo price was wrong. That like going into a steakhouse and demanding to pay only 40 cents for a porterhouse steak that was listed incorrectly on the menu because of a typo. Obviously it should be $40 not 40 cents. You can try to do it, you can make a scene and scream and yell about it to the manager, but you know it's not the right thing to do.

As an eBay seller I see frequent situations where buyers try to bend the rules and take advantage of buyer protection policies. Happens to me all the time.
Unread 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd brag about screwing someone over an honest mistake.

But, that's just me.

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.