TorqueFlite 999 date code same as 727?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TorqueFlite 999 date code same as 727??

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

TorqueFlite 999 date code same as 727??

Hi All ~

Were the 10,000 day date codes on the 999's the same as the 727's? I just had my 999 rebuilt, and I used the date code for the 727''s which, for mine, came out to be manufactured in '79. But if the date codes are different for the 999, from the 727, then I could have a younger transmission - and like someone reputable in this forum has said, Jeep didn't put in the TorqueFlite in CJ's until '81.

This might explan after I got my transmission back from a rebuild shop, and I installed it, that I only have reverse gear working... The trans shop may have put in the wrong parts... Thinking that my transmission is a '79.

I wish I had the date codes for the 999...

Thanks for any help...

Unread 01-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I said look up parts for an 81 because some of the discount store parts books don't list a TF 727/999 until '81 instead of '80 when they are supposed to so you ALWAYS get the wrong flex plate and starter when asking for parts for an '80...
I got handed the wrong flex plate/starter 3 different times looking for TF parts,
When I ordered for an '81 got the correct parts the first try.

----------------------------

The '80 model year was produced well before '79 was over, so seeing a '79 date code on an '80 model transmission wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The Factories usually need a 6 months lead time for assembled units, new model years starting hitting the show rooms in September back then,
That means the foundries were probably producing the cases and hard parts a year before, then shipping them to assembly plants to have those parts put together and tested,
Then the assembled transmissions were on the AMC assembly line about July or Aug, so the new models could hit the show room in Sept. of '79...

--------------------------

Only having reverse could be a few different things,
Sticking sifter valve in the valve body,
Roller clutch put in backwards, are a couple...

That VEHICLE would go to the shop I had the transmission built at,
And THEY would pull it and fix it if I were you...
That's why you go to shops, to get WARRANTIES, To get PROFESSIONALS...
PROFESSIONALS will warranty their work and they will make you happy at all costs if it's their fault!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.