Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Torque stud question answered (long)

877 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CJ51973 
#1 ·
I posted a "do you really need the torque stud" thread a few months ago. Well, last weekend gave me my answer.

While wheeling we came to a large wash which didn't look 33 friendly. My buddy took his TJ up it (33s also) and almost made it (three tires out and hung on the frame). After pulling him out I decided "if he can get up that far I bet I can get all the way out". So I go back down the hill and give it a whirl. I cruised to the top and took a slightly different line. When it came to pop out at the top my tire went into an area that overhung. I couldn't see this and my"spotters" weren't watching so I backed up and hit it again. This exploded my two trip inner axle, outer axle, and ujoint.

Once home, I started to disassemble my mess. The inner wouldn't come out without hammering the yokes (what was left of them) in so they would fit out the hole in the knuckle. I went over to the driveshaft to rotate stuff for a better lick and it would only move 1/8 of a turn. I now think my ring and pinion has bought it too. Turns out that in the drivetrain torquing the tranny mount rippped it and then collapsed it causing my t'case yoke to bind against my cross member. So no further damage but a good scare.

I will be installing a poly mount (the old one was rubber) AND the torque stud set up back on it Saturday. BTW...it twisted the splines some at the lockout and the locker. The inner axles splines are machine not rolled (custom shaft). They didn't fail, the axle twisted. So I am no longer concerned about the machined splines not being strong enough.

See less See more
#3 ·
I musta missed that thread...I coulda told that was what it was for (dampening the torque twist in the drivetrain).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.