Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Torque steer, AMC 401 and body damage ???'s

965 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Blown7 
#1 ·
So I took my old girl in to 4wheel parts after another local 4x4 shop completely screwed things up. Originally it was just for an alignment. Then next thing I know I am $600 deep in parts and repairs to get the steering back to normal.

Remove drop pitman arm and replace for stock
Remount MORE steering box mount
Remount spring perches
Tighten all hardware including steering box bracket and steering box brace.
New power steering lines
Alignment
steering shims
Upgraded Dana 30 axle shafts
Inspection of entire front and rear end suspension components.

After all was said and done, the tech said she drives completely differently but I have a small amount of torque steer. I have already checked the rear u-bolts and their center pins and all are straight and undamaged. So that isn't it. The frame is in good condition with no cracks or broken welds.

I am thinking that even with the poly motor mounts my 401 is simply putting too much torque to the frame when accelerating...

Has anyone else had this issue with high torque motors and CJ's?

Second issue is, the previous owner had left the hood all the way up and against the windshield for about 5-6 years before I came to own my rig. it had left a couple of dents (inward to outward, think reverse of hail) and also a mild twist to the hood. Is there any way to correct this and still keep my stock paint in the good condition it is in now? So basically no hammer and dolly work at all!

If I press down on the dents they will pop back into place but I can never seem to get them to stay that way and the very last thing I want to do is apply heat to the original paint. So I am all ears for a good solution to this problem as well.

Last issue is with the 401 it's self. I have a Howell TBI on her and she has the standard little bit of a dog take off then a big almost dead spot in the pedal and then when you push the skinny pedal all the way down she roars to life like you would expect a big displacement V-8 to do. I have had the heads rebuilt, it has an Edlebrock Performer cam and intake and of course the Howell TBI. I am curious if a throttle body spacer may help the fuel to atomize even further and help with the "dead spot"

Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you correct it?

Any help is very much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
HI your TQ steer is most likely from the rear end not being straight. check your wheel base on each side and see it they are the same. both straight front to back and X check RF-LR LF-RR. if they are not the same that's the problem.. also have someone drive behind you and look at your jeep and see if it is going straight down the road and not sideways.
good luck
tim

#7 ·
I had some torque steer after my build. It would dive and hunt pretty bad at speed when I quickly let off the accelerator. It was cured by tightening the rear shackle bolts.

#8 ·
As for your engine the acceleration circuit isn't getting enough fuel in at input.

I'm not familiar with Howell , but I am knowledgeable on every mechanical and electronic system to run a engine that is laptop programmable or adjustable with a screwdriver and the problem you have is not enough fuel delivery on throttle change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.