topless in winter - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 12-17-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
orange cj5

Cool topless in winter

does anyone in here who lives where winters are cold drive their cj around without a top on

i don't drive yet but when i do it my cj will be topless...my parents won't pay for a top and i don't have a job yet and the top isn't on top of the priority list

so i was just wondering how is driving in the winter without a top

/_|,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)=0=)_)
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #69
RUSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 12-17-2005, 07:35 PM
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

Not as a DD

I have a CJ5, have not bothered putting the top on for about five years now. But I will rarely take it for a ride on the street unless it is 50* or more. Just too darn freezing. Will only take it out in the real cold if there is snow and I want to play.

Prolly if you are cold, shivering, etc...you are not the safest driver out there.

Find a way to get a top!
post #3 of 49 Old 12-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Whiplash

Just add wind chill. It gets about 30 deg in the day here and 25 at night on really cold days and with my soft top on I get chilly. Takes a bit for the heater to get it warm. Look for a used soft top on www.ebay.om or www.craigslist.com You might find one cheap or even find someone will to give ya one if you tell your story. I bet after a few times you'll do your best to find one.

Have Fun and Enjoy your toy. By the way, hope you learn to have DEEP pockets.

ThanX ~Matt
Keep it Dirty!

post #4 of 49 Old 12-17-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
orange cj5

i'm probably not going to drive it alot in the winter untill i get a top but i was just wondering if anyone did

/_|,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)=0=)_)
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #69
RUSS

post #5 of 49 Old 12-17-2005, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
orange cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
Just add wind chill. It gets about 30 deg in the day here and 25 at night on really cold days and with my soft top on I get chilly. Takes a bit for the heater to get it warm. Look for a used soft top on www.ebay.om or www.craigslist.com You might find one cheap or even find someone will to give ya one if you tell your story. I bet after a few times you'll do your best to find one.

Have Fun and Enjoy your toy. By the way, hope you learn to have DEEP pockets.
i don't even have a heater so i have alot of shopping to do...by the time i have enough money to buy the stuff it will be warm enough to drive without a top

i've heard jeeps Just Empty Every Pocket

/_|,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)=0=)_)
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #69
RUSS

post #6 of 49 Old 12-17-2005, 08:37 PM
2500HD4X

I drive mine-not as a daily driver, but occasionally. I drove it to my mother in laws house 125 miles away on a nice day we had a few weeks ago to help her fix a tile floor. Drove home that night-it went from 70 degrees on the way down, to 30 degrees on the ride home. It was a bit chilly....Took a while to warm back up when I got home. Wind chill sucks the heat right out of you. I am going to buy a new top and a functioning heater sometime soon after I recover from Christmas sticker shock.

78 CJ5, Daytona Sunset Orange Mica, 258c.i. w/T-150 tranny. 4" lift, 33" Wild Tracs. No top, no heater, no problem- Yet......
post #7 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 12:21 AM
knifeboy2

Keep in mind that on a 60 degree day, going 30mph creates a 30 degree wind chill. Now make that a 30 degree day and you're just screwing yourself over. Tops aren't all that expensive, and a much better investment than a lift or bigger tires. They'll likely outlast both and be used much more often. So maybe you need to re-arrange your priority list on what you're spending on this.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?" -Will Rogers
post #8 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Dude, you can forget driving much in the winter topless, unless you live in Florida.

60 degrees will make your teeth rattle even if you're wearing lots of clothes.
post #9 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 05:44 AM
JustPassinThru

I have to add my 2 on this...I bought my Jeep "as is" (no side windows or door uppers) in Las Vegas in September two years ago. I drove it across the country that way....and temperatures were in the 40s in the Rockies.

It was not fun. From Vail, Colorado, where it was 65, over the divide, at the Eisenhower tunnel where it was 42, and on to Golden, where it was 74, I literally got hypothermic...had to stop and drink a gallon of hot coffee to get back to normal. That was a two hour leg.

Nights on that trup, I would stop shortly after sundown because the cold was just too hard to take. Days were all right if the temperature was in the 60s, but any colder than that, it just froze me up.

That was with a winter coat; and it wasn't that cold.

You cannot drive without a top in the winter. Not for any distance. The heat off the heater will just blow away; it won't even warm your leg. Road spray will drift back and coat the insides and the back side of the windshield with salt.

You'll freeze your tushie and you'll be harming your seats and dash while you do it

Do not make the mistake of even thinking you can use it in winter without an enclosed top. The old Jeep brochures that showed a happy couple driving in snow in a topless Jeep...are just so much ad copy.

You cannot do it. Ask a biker or snowmobiler, how much winter gear they need when the temperature dips below 50 degrees.
post #10 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 05:58 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru

Do not make the mistake of even thinking you can use it in winter without an enclosed top. The old Jeep brochures that showed a happy couple driving in snow in a topless Jeep...are just so much ad copy.

You cannot do it. Ask a biker or snowmobiler, how much winter gear they need when the temperature dips below 50 degrees.
So why not dress up like a snowmobiler and drive it. The biggest problem would be keeping the windshield clean but you can lower it.

I'm not saying it's wise to do it but there is no mechanical reason it can't be done. Of course by the time you buy enough proper clothing to keep you warm you'll probably be close to the price of a new soft top.

post #11 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 06:49 AM
blackbetty

after the flip i had to drive around without a windshield, in below freezing weather....now THAT was effing rediculous...i was all sorts of numb, i wouldnt ever try that again...hell i wouldnt go without a top either, im a wuss now when it comes to cold....
*edit*
you could try getting a bikini top, theyre way cheap, and if you have full doors, then you can stay somewhat warm with a heater....i did that in the cj7, and i hung a tarp over the roll bar and stuck some 10 pound weights at the bottom of it and it kept me dry enough in rain.

94 yj (Black Betty)

81 cj5 (The Jive CJ5)

83 cj7 (Ol' Blue)
Metalhead Jeep Club #1337
post #12 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
orange cj5

i'm not going to be driving much this winter and i should have a top and heater by next winter...i hope

if not the jeep will just have to stay covered up in the driveway

/_|,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)=0=)_)
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #69
RUSS

post #13 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Anything colder than 50 without a winter jacket, hat and gloves is very cold. Can be done but I wouldn't go very far. Heater doesn't do much good when your going down the road in these temperatures.

BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS-III, 4L80e

'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick
post #14 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 02:29 PM
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you keep an eye on the FREE section of this board, you can quite often come across a free hard top with damage on it. Sometimes a crack, sometimes missing windows. I just gave a way a hard top myself, had a crack, and no back glass. I come across free hardtops about once every couple of months.

My CJ5 last year had a metal hard top and doors, still froze whenever we tried to drive it. Now, I live in CT, and used that jeep for plowing..

Do you have a 5 or a 7?

TheJunkMan2005

1988 Wrangler 89000 miles, no rust, no rot, all nice and pretty.. Runs down the highway really nice too.. This is great fun.
post #15 of 49 Old 12-18-2005, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
orange cj5

i have a cj5

/_|,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)=0=)_)
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #69
RUSS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.