Top radiator hoses sucks itself together under throttle - Page 2 -

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
1975 CJ6 
Thanks guys for the responses, found the old top hose learking in the garage (with spring) and put it on and it works no more collapsed hose.

But I still have a standard bottom hose (no spring) can anyone give me the right part numbers of the top and bottom hoses (with springs) so I can get replacements.

As with being in Ireland the easiset distributor I've found is Rockauto so there parts numbers would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
post #17 of 20 Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM
1979 CJ7 
Good info Jeephammer.

The voids created by the cavitation of an impeller are created by the low pressure on the backside of the impeller blade. The low pressure forces water to convert automatically from liquid to a gas, but it does not introduce air into the system because the pressure in the system and the (relatively) low temperature. It creates steam.

Since the water is at a near boiling point it only takes a little bit of negative pressure for the vapor pressure in the water molecules to exceed the system pressure. That negative pressure is created on the back side of the impeller. This creates little steam voids.

The steam voids collapse immediately on the other side of the impeller because the steam void is not created by heating (like a pot on a stove), it is created by negative pressure.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-18-2011, 02:25 PM
1976 CJ5 
I needed a new top radiator hose and two different places listed it as one that wasn't going to fit so I just decided my setup wasn't stock and bought a flex hose. Problem solved.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ5 
Could it be possible that you have a water pump designed for a serpentine setup and it's turning the wrong way? Nah, impossible! Just a far fetched thought.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-18-2011, 06:18 PM
John Strenk
1976 CJ5 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.