Top radiator hoses sucks itself together under throttle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Top radiator hoses sucks itself together under throttle

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
IrishCJ6
1975 CJ6 

Thanks guys for the responses, found the old top hose learking in the garage (with spring) and put it on and it works no more collapsed hose.

But I still have a standard bottom hose (no spring) can anyone give me the right part numbers of the top and bottom hoses (with springs) so I can get replacements.

As with being in Ireland the easiset distributor I've found is Rockauto so there parts numbers would be helpful.

IrishCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

Good info Jeephammer.

The voids created by the cavitation of an impeller are created by the low pressure on the backside of the impeller blade. The low pressure forces water to convert automatically from liquid to a gas, but it does not introduce air into the system because the pressure in the system and the (relatively) low temperature. It creates steam.

Since the water is at a near boiling point it only takes a little bit of negative pressure for the vapor pressure in the water molecules to exceed the system pressure. That negative pressure is created on the back side of the impeller. This creates little steam voids.

The steam voids collapse immediately on the other side of the impeller because the steam void is not created by heating (like a pot on a stove), it is created by negative pressure.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
bentring
1976 CJ5 

I needed a new top radiator hose and two different places listed it as one that wasn't going to fit so I just decided my setup wasn't stock and bought a flex hose. Problem solved.
bentring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #19
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Could it be possible that you have a water pump designed for a serpentine setup and it's turning the wrong way? Nah, impossible! Just a far fetched thought.
80cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Not with the V8. They didn't have viper belts.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.