Top Opinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Top Opinion

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
graydragon2
1985 CJ7 

Top Opinion

I am just looking for some opinions on tops. I have an 85 CJ7 that I got a coouple weeks back. It came with a bikini top and an extra one but no doors. I have a buddy that will sell me his CJ7 hardtop fairly cheap but the Jeep has never had a hardtop on it. The holes for the hardtop have never even been drilled out. Again no doors with that one either. My question is what do yall think. Just use the bikini and get some half doors, get the hardtop and find some doors, or get a soft top and doors. It is a DD but I also have my truck that I drive on days I know its gonna rain.

graydragon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

i had a hard top and doors when i bought mine, sold both of them cause it was such a pain pulling the hard top off and putting it back on, off in spring, back on in winter. and then the thing hung in my garage all summer long. found a good deal on craigslist for a bestop softtop with doors and havent looked back since. now i just use the top in the winter time and the rest of time its all packed away. glad i made the switch but thats my opinion.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I also prefer a soft top (keeps you dry but still easy to remove when you want to). I recommend a pair of metal half doors off a YJ (don't flap in the wind like a soft door, and the top half of door pops off for summer driving).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I don't do the hard top routine. Too much trouble to me. In the winter I run a soft top with YJ half hard doors and soft uppers. In spring and fall just the YJ half doors and a bikini top. In summer any combo is possible but generally I like no doors and no bikini unless its super hot out. For trail runs in summer I usually run a bikini and soft half doors. They are easy to remove/install and don't take up a lot of room
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

In winter, i run a bikini top, full soft doors and a wind jammer.
In the summer, i Carry the bikini rolled up behind the seat in case it storms.
Put a top on a CJ, and all you get is a very bad car.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
graydragon2
1985 CJ7 

Skizriz do you have a backseat or do you flip it forward when you have on the windjammer
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

I have a black soft top that you can have for free if you want it. It came on my jeep when I bought it a couple months ago. It's obviously not brand new, but still better than nothing. I'll be keeping the soft half doors and windows, but still..... top, frame and bed rails are yours if you want them. I suppose you'll need to get a windshield rail because I need to keep it for the bikini top.

It is located in Ocean Springs Mississippi, just let me know if I have to have my "Pocket Annmarie" take it off and figure out a way to ship it.
3if3me3f45ne5hf5jed37fc68b22dbc4913e7.jpg

Unread 09-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
graydragon2
1985 CJ7 

Sure I'll take it. I'll send you my address and you can let me know how much to ship it and we can go from there.
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydragon2 View Post
Skizriz do you have a backseat or do you flip it forward when you have on the windjammer
No back seat anymore. After two years of nobody ever having sat in it, I took it out to make more room.

Here's what I did last year. Our club was going on a Toys For Tots day at an off road park about two hours away. They were calling for 20 degrees in the morning, and a high in the mid thirties. I've bundled up and driven to work in cold weather like that plenty of times, but an all day trip was just too much for me to take.
The redneck light bulb went off in my head. Cut some cardboard strips, and bought a couple rolls of Gorilla tape. Instant top.
The strange part was the quite a few people came over to me and asked who makes the half cab top that I had. Got a chuckle when I told them I did, and they looked closer to see it was made out of tape.

While I don't run it in the snow (other than to go wheeling), because of front and rear lockers being a handful on slippery roads, this is how I run it all winter long. 20 miles each way to work and back.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That windjammer/cab curtain is the best deal for a bikini top and any type of doors. I use mine with full doors and a softopper

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.