Tool box instead of back seat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tool box instead of back seat?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 09-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Tool box instead of back seat?

Kay do I'm getting tired of not having a place to store stuff in my jeep and I have a big metal tool box that used to be bolted down in the bed of a work truck that would be the perfect size to fit in my jeep instead of my back seat.

Have any of y'all done this before? What do y'all think?

Thanks
Alex.

Unread 09-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I'm thinking the same thing. I haven't used my back seat once since it's been on the road.
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
I'm thinking the same thing. I haven't used my back seat once since it's been on the road.
Same here!
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That's our plan too.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
papa355
1977 CJ7 

I thought I was going to get away with that , also. but my daughter informed me she planned on sitting in the back seat. lol !

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

why not build or buy a tool box to mount under the seat? I plan on building one that is about 8" high with a drawer that slides out to stash all my stuff. my seat will mount on top of the box and i will have all the seat belt mounts attached to the box securely.
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog304 View Post
why not build or buy a tool box to mount under the seat? I plan on building one that is about 8" high with a drawer that slides out to stash all my stuff. my seat will mount on top of the box and i will have all the seat belt mounts attached to the box securely.

good idea............... I just didn't want to take any extra people..............lol. they wanna wheel? they can buy their own jeep

Everyone here wants to go wheelin' but not one of them has been there to help me build the damn thing.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

I had the big Tuffy box in the back of my 79' in place of the rear seat. It worked well for me. It has a locking hinged top and also a smaller locking swing out tailgate door. I pulled it out so my dog has a place to stand. I'll be installing it in the back of my 83' project.
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

I use an old ammo can to store all my stuff. I just put some rubber feet on it to keep it from sliding around.

Unread 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

I read a post a while back about people buying the Harbor Freight trailer tongue toolbox. Said it fits just right behind the rear seat. Haven't tried it, though. I've got a fold n tumble seat. I just slap it in there if I need it, but usually have a big plastic box in the back for parts n tools.

Murph
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
JeepGoat78
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I ditched the back seat in my TJ the first week I had it and began brainstorming a storage box to replace it. Here is what I came up with: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/m...e-sub-1397268/
This hides all my stuff and with the tailgate locked no one can get in even if the tops down.
JeepGoat78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

I have the harbor freight tongue box. Fits in between my seat and tailgate. Has plenty of room for all my tools, recovery gear, and air compressor with room to spare.
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I'm thinking of making a box to fit in the back, about the size of a seat bottom. In other words, it will fit in between the wheel wells, and come up from the floor , to about 10" high. It'll have a cushioned, hinged top (for sitting on, when necessary).

I'll incorporate a square tube reciever at each rear corner, that doesn't come above flush with the lid.

Then, I'll make a seat "back" that can be slid into (or, out of) the recievers, whenever necessary.

Everything, except for the pads, will be made of metal.

That's the plan, anyway...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
I'm thinking of making a box to fit in the back, about the size of a seat bottom. In other words, it will fit in between the wheel wells, and come up from the floor , to about 10" high. It'll have a cushioned, hinged top (for sitting on, when necessary).

I'll incorporate a square tube reciever at each rear corner, that doesn't come above flush with the lid.

Then, I'll make a seat "back" that can be slid into (or, out of) the recievers, whenever necessary.

Everything, except for the pads, will be made of metal.

That's the plan, anyway...

Rich
I hope you make a build thread, Rich, because I want to see it. That sounds like a very sweet setup.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Thanks y'all! I'll post some pics in the light tomorrow of the box I have and see what y'all think!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.