Took the plunge: '73 CJ5. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Took the plunge: '73 CJ5.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Labsnducks
1973 CJ5 

Took the plunge: '73 CJ5.

I posted my initial pic (and very first post) yesterday in the "What I did to my CJ Today" thread. Thanks for the welcomes, here is a bit more info. I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert, so my family is always out running around the desert hunting and/or exploring. My wife wanted to get quads or some-such to do this, but I talked her into going the Jeep route. I have previously had a YJ, and loved it, but had to sell it to help pay for college. This time around I decided that I wanted a pre-'75 so that I never have to deal with the emissions hassles that comes with smog checks. My old one was a %#@&* to get to pass smog. We were planning on looking around a bit, but this one became available locally due to major health issues with the previous owner. It has a 1975 '304 with a 3-speed in it. The steering column has been replaced with a GMC model. The dash needs some work. It runs (other than some little charge issue that I would have worked out today if it wasn't for 50 MPH winds), the 4-wheel drive functions fine, and the brakes worked well. It is a desert car, so rust is not much of an issue. There are some electrical issues that the PO had essentially worked out and rewired, but couldn't quite complete due to declining health. I am not sure about all of the modifications, as I have not went over it completely yet. She isnt the prettiest, but she will give me something to do for a while.

Last edited by Labsnducks; 04-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Posted Pics
Labsnducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
ETthomehomw
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labsnducks
I posted my initial pic (and very first post) yesterday in the "What I did to my CJ Today" thread. Thanks for the welcomes, here is a bit more info. I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert, so my family is always out running around the desert hunting and/or exploring. My wife wanted to get quads or some-such to do this, but I talked her into going the Jeep route. I have previously had a YJ, and loved it, but had to sell it to help pay for college. This time around I decided that I wanted a pre-'75 so that I never have to deal with the emissions hassles that comes with smog checks. My old one was a %#@&* to get to pass smog. We were planning on looking around a bit, but this one became available locally due to major health issues with the previous owner. It has a 1975 '304 with a 3-speed in it. The steering column has been replaced with a GMC model. The dash needs some work. It runs (other than some little charge issue that I would have worked out today if it wasn't for 50 MPH winds), the 4-wheel drive functions fine, and the brakes worked well. It is a desert car, so rust is not much of an issue. There are some electrical issues that the PO had essentially worked out and rewired, but couldn't quite complete due to declining health. I am not sure about all of the modifications, as I have not went over it completely yet. She isnt the prettiest, but she will give me something to do for a while.

Looks good man!
ETthomehomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

Welcome to JF and the intermediate CJ5's. I also bought one to avoid the emissions issues here in Cali.
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
chevy71super

Welcome. Same here - 75 to avoid emissions. Please note someone placed a 76 and newer windshield on it in case you ever plan to put a top on it.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Yep...welcome to the CA emissions free intermediate jeep group

SC
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Labsnducks
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy71super View Post
Welcome. Same here - 75 to avoid emissions. Please note someone placed a 76 and newer windshield on it in case you ever plan to put a top on it.
Thanks for the heads up. Is there an aftermarket top that would fit on it now, or should I hunt for a '75 or older winshield? What are the differences between the pre '76 winshields and the '76 and newer? Thanks in advance...
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Bigmaaty
1979 CJ7 

Congratulations and welcome. It is amazing how kind the high desert can be to Jeep steel. It looks great, can't wait to see what you can do with it. Have fun!
Bigmaaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
SeminoleCJ5
1975 CJ5 

Congrats on the new purchase. It looks like a nice CJ!
SeminoleCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

That's sure looks like a 76+ version to me, the floor pan shape is a giveaway, as well as the windshield. Confirm what rear axle it has, AMC20 is 76-83. Does the frame widen toward the rear (76-83) or stay parallel all the way back (75 and earlier). How wide are your leaf springs? 75 and earlier should be 1.75" wide, whereas 76-83 will be 2.5" wide rear and 2" wide front. It could be a mish mash of parts, but it's likely someone retitled it to avoid emissions.
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Pathkiller,

I saw that too. It does look as if the body is a 76 plus version. The leaf springs look wider than the intermediates too. Also, where the grill mounts to the frame. That area does not look like an intermediate as well.

I think the OP does not have a '73. A serial number check would be interesting to compare to what he has. If it does not match someone was messing with the ID...to avoid emisssions.

SC
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Labsnducks
1973 CJ5 

Thanks for the comments. I think it is a mishmash of parts, but I am not at all certain. The VIN matches a 73, as does the title, but those can be messed with. I know the last 3 owners of it, so I may have to ask them what the deal is if it doesn't match up. I am new to the Jeep game, so I will have to check the leafs and axle later when I get home.
Thanks for the heads up!

Bryan

Last edited by Labsnducks; 04-15-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Tilt wheel, could be lots of upgrades and mods...........? I don't have YJ springs so I wouldn't know the difference, is it a YJ spring mod?

The VIN is all that counts unless your a purist. As long as it flows through the DMV

Mine is on the "emissions avoidance" team too LOL.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.