TKFireman's build thread - Page 61 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TKFireman's build thread

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #901
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Nice view you have there my friend
Thanks Jim, its a little deceiving, there is a subdivision just on the other side of those trees and slightly up a hill. That's why there is not a shooting lane for target practice through there. Its tempting, but just not a good idea.

Unread 10-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #902
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You could still set it up for watching deer though. Even if you can't shoot them.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #903
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Great job on that addition, looks good.
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #904
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Its been almost a month since I've updated my thread. I'm going to have to work on the jeep for the first time in a long time. The headlights only work on high beam, started yesterday. I think its probably the dimmer switch, but haven't had time to find the problem. It has also developed a very small coolant leak that I haven't been able to find yet.

The office is almost completely wired and waiting on interior sheathing on the walls and ceiling. My Dad gave me an old wood stove that was in our house when I was a kid. I got it in the shop and burning. He also gave me a Ford 9 inch that was in a '63 pickup that's was used on the farm as long as I can remember. The truck was scrapped but saved the axle. I don't know much about these axles, but I'm hoping its got 4.10 gears in it coming out of a truck. I hope to use this axle and a Dana 44 front one day to swap axles and go SOA. The current rough country lift is sagging and needs to be replaced eventually. Hopefully this will be one of the first projects in the new shop.

Unread 11-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #905
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

I got a chance to tinker some the last day or two. The headlight problem turned out to be the plug going to the dimmer switch not plugged in completely. I love when a fix is that simple. The coolant leak has not been found. This morning I topped off the coolant and ran the jeep for about 30 minutes. I never saw a drop. The coolant is leaking, the level keeps dropping and she definitely marks her territory, but danged if I know where is coming from. The diff is wet on the front axle, so that is where it is landing. I'm afraid its a water pump leak, but I haven't been able to track it down.

I did some reading and tore into the 9 inch. I found out a few things. It currently has a wms-wms measurement of around 62" inches. It has 3.25:1 gears, open carrier, and 28 spline shafts that can not be shortened and resplined. It is a big bearing version, but has the old style bolt pattern on the housing ends. So to use this axle I'll need new gears, a locker which I haven't choosen yet, new shafts and shorten the housing with new housing ends. I have too many projects and not enough funds for them.
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #906
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

I finally finished construction on the office. I got the walls and ceiling in, and trimmed it out using 1x6s. Trimmed around the windows with the same 1x6s ripped down to 1 1\2" to make molding. I added a access to get into the attic space for extra storage. I still need to hang some cabinets and finish moving in, but the main construction is done. I think the next project will be plumbing the air lines in more permanently, then maybe I will return to tinkering on the CJ. I have been planning on running 3\4" air lines with 1\2" drops to the connections, but I haven't found any 3\4" hoses to use as a whip between the compressor and the hard lines. I think I'll have to see if someone locally can make one, possibly someone who makes hydraulic hoses.

Unread 12-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #907
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

I went by a local hydraulic hose shop this morning and got them to make me a 3/4" 2' long hose for the compressor. I then bought some copper pipe and fittings and started mocking up the airlines. The line comes into the shop, then up, over and back down another post . I did it this way to add a little distance between the filter/regulator and the compressor to help dry the air some. There is around 20' of line between them. I realized that I need a union in the line beside the filter to install everything, may come in handy in the future anyway if I need to swap out the filter. Nothing has been soldered yet, just mocked up into place.

Unread 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #908
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

I soldered copper pipe for the first time today. I saw it done when I was a kid, but this is the first time I've done it. Once I figured out where to put the heat and that it takes very little solder to make a good joint, I got the hang of it and was able to charge the system up to the regulator. I added a union to the line which has to be tightened surprising tight to keep it from leaking. I had two other leaks, but they were at threaded connections that had to be turned to point a specific direction, all soldered joints were fine.

Unread 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #909
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

I haven't gotten much done in the past couple of weeks, but I did acquire an oxy-acetylene torch that used to be my grandfather's. I got it home to find the oxygen tank was empty and the acetylene tank has about 100psi. I exchanged the oxygen tank this morning, my old one was around 125 cuft, but they gave me a 150 cuft tank, the closest they had. I hooked up the regulators and both leak, with the T handle screwed out. Also I don't think I have any flashback preventers.

So now I'm in the market for a torch kit. The local welding shop has Radnor kits made by Victor for $215-$275 depending on size, but I also see off brand kits available in the $100 range. I don't know much about torches, can y'all tell me if the name brand kits are worth the cost difference, or oes anyone recommend a specific kit? I appreciate and advice on this y'all have.

Unread 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #910
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Yesterday I was running an air ratchet and noticed that my compressor was having trouble keeping up. Then I hear a snap, turn of the compressor and hear the engine free spinning. I pulled it out and took it apart this morning to find this

As soon as I catch up and start saving money to do actual jeep projects this happens. Oh well, I reckon I'm in the market for a new compressor. I'm looking at this one, let me know what y'all think. Think a bigger one would ever be needed?
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/4285259091.html
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #911
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

depends on the make of the regulator they can be rebuilt sounds like the diaphragms are cracked check with a local weld supplier
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #912
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz401 View Post
depends on the make of the regulator they can be rebuilt sounds like the diaphragms are cracked check with a local weld supplier
Local welding shop said around $80 a piece to rebuild the regulators, a little over $100 a piece for new ones or around $200 for a all net kit with regulators, hose, torch and everything. That's being put on the back burner for now until I fix the compressor. When I am ready, I will probably get this http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=130909283070
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #913
benullman
1981 CJ7 

I have that campbell hausfield compressor. While I like it, I wish I would have gotten a 2 stage. But then again I run a DA alot and do quite a bit of painting.

I have an 80 gallon 2 stage that came with the shop im renting and I use that for all air in the whole shop. Then I have my 60 gallon CH compressor plumbed in just for the booth with a 3 stage air dryer

Ben
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #914
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

the regulators are not hard to rebuild see what the kits cost and do it your self
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #915
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz401 View Post
the regulators are not hard to rebuild see what the kits cost and do it your self
I'll have to look into that fuzz, thanks for the suggestion

Bought and installed a new compressor today. I got the 60 gallon CH that I posted earlier. I followed the break in procedure and it should be ready to go now

Tags
401 , bumper build , crankshaft , dana 300 , engine rebuild , harmonic balancer , heads , nv4500 , oil pan , pistons , rebuild , rock slider , shop build

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.