TJ Parts for CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TJ Parts for CJ

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
shortgoroper
1983 CJ7 

TJ Parts for CJ

My brother in law has a wrecked '99 TJ he is junking.. .What parts would work with my 83 CJ???

I want to use the seats, sport bar, power brakes (non anti lock), hardtop, and soft top???

ANy insight on crossing these two jeeps??

shortgoroper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

lots of good old fashioned DIY knowhow is all thats needed; in other words...make it work
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
IDK

I know for sure that the hardtop wont fit, not sure about softop.
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
JKM3134
1983 CJ7 

i've seen threads for using a tj soft top on a cj. it does require cutting the cj windshield. but i personally think it looks great when done.

i don't know about the sport bar but i put a yj sport bar (the one that is the same style as the tj's) in my cj and it fit perfectly.
JKM3134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
shortgoroper
1983 CJ7 

That sounds good to know I have a chance.... Its all free parts, and they are well kept.. I know the back seat has never been sat in.
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
shortgoroper
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM3134 View Post
i've seen threads for using a tj soft top on a cj. it does require cutting the cj windshield. but i personally think it looks great when done
Anyone have pictures of the TJ soft top on a CJ???
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgoroper View Post
Anyone have pictures of the TJ soft top on a CJ???
Yup, here are some shots. Used the sports bar, hardware, door surrounds and soft top from a TJ, it works great. Beats the hassles involved with the old CJ top. As you can see, I have also used rear flares and side mirrors as well.

Had to do some trimming of the windshield.

So the header gasket fit properly.

Had to cut grooves for the clamps.

Then I discovered that it pulled the windshield pretty hard so I added to the sport bar to the windshield and dash. You could actually get away with just going to the windshield, but I opted to be able to fold it down when I want.

Side rails had to be modified to tuck the TJ top in, but sits flush afterwards.

Just have to be patient and think it through. When I originally decided to go this route, I did some research and found someone that did it to a YJ. Here is the link.

As for a hard top, I think it can be done, the tub to windshield dimensions and angles are identical, just have to have some ingenuity.

I will be giving the hard top a try this spring as my friend with a TJ will have taken it off for the summer and has graciously offered it to me for experimentation.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 01-13-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
shortgoroper
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallymetal View Post
Yup, here are some shots. Used the sports bar, hardware, door surrounds and soft top from a TJ, it works great. Beats the hassles involved with the old CJ top. As you can see, I have also used rear flares and side mirrors as well.

Had to do some trimming of the windshield.

So the header gasket fit properly.

Had to cut grooves for the clamps.

Then I discovered that it pulled the windshield pretty hard so I added to the sport bar to the windshield and dash. You could actually get away with just going to the windshield, but I opted to be able to fold it down when I want.

Side rails had to be modified to tuck the TJ top in, but sits flush afterwards.

Just have to be patient and think it through. When I originally decided to go this route, I did some research and found someone that did it to a YJ. Here is the link.

As for a hard top, I think it can be done, the tub to windshield dimensions and angles are identical, just have to have some ingenuity.

I will be giving the hard top a try this spring as my friend with a TJ will have taken it off for the summer and has graciously offered it to me for experimentation.

THANKS!! Like I said earlier in the thread... I kind of fell into all of these parts... I am glad that they are somewhat interchangable... Plus since I am re-doing the whole jeep.. I can afford to make any modifications I need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.