TJ heater box in a CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TJ heater box in a CJ

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
JoeDahero
1974 CJ5 

TJ heater box in a CJ

Ok I've got a crazy idea and I have a hard time believing I'm the first to think of it. My bro has an '05 TJ. The heat in that thing is nuclear. Even with a soft top he's never cold. In my '74 CJ-5 even with an aftermarket heater setup it never truly gets warm in there.

I'm on a crusade to be warm this winter. I've spent hours sealing air leaks and have bought a hard top. But I think it all comes down to CFM and the output of even the aftermarket system just isn't enough.

Which leads me to the crazy idea - graft a TJ heater box into a CJ. A complete TJ box can be had new for around $200. From FN Jeep I could prolly get one for even less. Anybody tried it? Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I crazy and committing sacrilege by suggesting such a Frankenstein and not just putting on another layer? I've searched here and google and come up empty. Curious to see what you all think.

JoeDahero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Part of the reason the TJ heater works better is the fact the engine operates at 210*. This is probably 30* more than your CJ runs.

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Ive rebuilt several CJ and a few TJ heater boxes and can tell you that the size, shape, mounting, and plumbing of the two differ enough that its not really worth it.

As a side note, I to sometimes blend parts for a better outcome. My project rockcrawler is a TJ frame and tub, but with all else CJ. I wanted the TJ frame/tub for the longarm/coils and better soft tops. Im using CJ dash/column/front clip etc for simplicity and classic look/feel. So where Im going is the TJ heater/air box will still fit behind the CJ dash when swapped over. Ill transfer the controls and lines over to the glove box or under the dash on a separate bracket. So I'll have good heat and AC with the least amount of mods (mainly the tub and mounting)

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
JoeDahero
1974 CJ5 

Thanks for the replies guys.

The OEM thermostat in the 2.4 is 195*. My 304 is running a 195* as well. Might be some difference in engine temp but I wouldn't think it would be as much as 30*. Pure speculation though.

"Not worth the effort" has a completely different threshold driving through the mountains at night (no solar gain) when it's 20* outside and the heat is just barely enough to warm your right knee.

If my CJ were a trailer queen or summertime toy or a fair weather conveyance I might be inclined to agree about the effort. But it's my daily driver and as I'm averse to car payments and the overall concept of interest that's unlikely to change any time soon.

Based on what I'm hearing so far it sounds possible (though anything is with enough effort and imagination).
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Have you looked up the blazer blower motor mod and thought about that?? From what I have read about it everyone that does it swears by the new output.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
JoeDahero
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasteeler
Have you looked up the blazer blower motor mod . . .
I ditched the stock box long ago in favor of the aftermarket system (Mojave type) so the cost for me to replace the stock parts and go blazer motor and going TJ would be similar.
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I believe the Mojave puts out 12K BTU and given your engine operating temp I would think this would make the interior reasonable.
So where is it mounted?
And do you have any blockage on your supply or return side?
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I should have put a heat range, instead of a set temp. I run a 190 in my 304's and my 360. At any rate still not as warm as a TJ .

I have read here on JF that some people block off the air flow at the cowl, and keep the fresh air door open ( inside the jeep). The reason for this is to pull warm air from inside the jeep, to be reheated.

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

You ever thought about running two aftermarket heaters in tandem? That should melt ice off your roof. I run my stock heater in series w an aftermarket box. I kept the stock hooked up to the defrost and made 2 dash vents for the new box.
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Blown7

I did a Vintage Air Magnum IV universal kit. Now hot and A/C beats anything.......

BEST UPGRADE EVER.
Blown7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
tchimmerroks
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDahero View Post
Ok I've got a crazy idea and I have a hard time believing I'm the first to think of it. My bro has an '05 TJ. The heat in that thing is nuclear. Even with a soft top he's never cold. In my '74 CJ-5 even with an aftermarket heater setup it never truly gets warm in there.

I'm on a crusade to be warm this winter. I've spent hours sealing air leaks and have bought a hard top. But I think it all comes down to CFM and the output of even the aftermarket system just isn't enough.

Which leads me to the crazy idea - graft a TJ heater box into a CJ. A complete TJ box can be had new for around $200. From FN Jeep I could prolly get one for even less. Anybody tried it? Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I crazy and committing sacrilege by suggesting such a Frankenstein and not just putting on another layer? I've searched here and google and come up empty. Curious to see what you all think.
When I refurbished my 4.2L '81, I thoroughly cleaned out the heater core w/muriatic acid (removed lots of scale/gunk) and combined w/the larger, heater blower upgrade, it puts out considerable heat. I've never had it in the mountains in the dead of winter, but compared to stock, it's vastly improved.
tchimmerroks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown7 View Post
I did a Vintage Air Magnum IV universal kit. Now hot and A/C beats anything.......

BEST UPGRADE EVER.
Got any pics? Would love to see the install.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.