TJ for a CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TJ for a CJ7

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
Daylan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ for a CJ7

I am thinking about selling my TJ and biying a CJ7. What do you think??

Unread 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

It depends on what you want it for and how much time/money you want to devote to it. I really enjoy my CJ7 and have had it for 20 years.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

How much do you like to work on your own vehicle to keep it running?
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
DCHCJ7
1986 CJ7 

I agree with the above. If you like working on your own vehicles then go for it. I am on old Land Cruiser guy, due to the rising prices of these i swapped an bought a CJ. Have not regretted it at all.
Lots of parts floating around new and used and they are unbelievably easy to work on.
DCHCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

Are you going to be using it as a DD or a trail rig or both?
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

When you own a CJ you have to start to love constantly working on your jeep, and you're going to have to get good at fixing things.
Unread 05-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

CJ's are a love/hate relationship. One week they run great and you love them, the next they run rough etc and you hate them lol. Seriously though it depends on what you want. If you want alot of extra comfort then the TJ is the way to go. If you like a slightly rougher ride, and don't mind doing without some of the things newer jeeps offer than a CJ is great. I have had mine since I was 16, and that was 11 years ago, and I love it. Although I do have a couple other cars to drive just incase the CJ decides to act up lol.
CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
DCHCJ7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ8Extreme View Post
CJ's are a love/hate relationship. One week they run great and you love them, the next they run rough etc and you hate them lol. Seriously though it depends on what you want. If you want alot of extra comfort then the TJ is the way to go. If you like a slightly rougher ride, and don't mind doing without some of the things newer jeeps offer than a CJ is great. I have had mine since I was 16, and that was 11 years ago, and I love it. Although I do have a couple other cars to drive just incase the CJ decides to act up lol.
This goes for any older car. My 70 Chevelle, has it's days let me tell you.
But the fact of the matter is they are as simple as you can get.
Wiring is easy, no computer, and i would have to say as reliable an anything else of that age?

Mine is my daily driver and is fine. But aside from a small lift (2.5 inch) and a new interior, i have not done anything to it. The engine s original (96,000 miles) and I have dealer installed working AC. I bought from the original owner with all service records and it has never been off road other then gravel roads. Mechanically it is in great shape aside from a PS leak.

But like other said if you want a nice smooth ride and the amenities of a new far keep what you have.
If you want a rough ride, bare basics in the amenities and a easy vehicle to work on and fix. Get a CJ.

i doubt you will regret it.
DCHCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Renegade86
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylan View Post
I am thinking about selling my TJ and buying a CJ7. What do you think??
Almost 2 years ago, I traded my 67K '03 TJ in for a 1 owner 61K rust free 99% original '86 CJ. I posted a very similar question on my local Jeep club forum and various other Jeep forums prior letting go of my '03, and the consensus was basically labeled as an idiotic decision. Prior to posting my question, I did a little background history on the '86 I was looking at. Very pleased to learn that it only had 1 owner, was almost all original, always garaged, never ever taken off road, adult driven, always babied, and always went through regular service intervals when required.

Upon discovering all this, I figured I found the "right" CJ for me. But I was still curious as to what others would think even though I was going buy it anyway after learning it's history. After almost 2 years, the only problem I had was the old original ignition distributor setup was very prone to misfiring and stalling in wet weather. I was advised to upgrade to an HEI setup to alleviate this problem. Since the upgrade, and after almost a year, I've had zero problems. My '86 is my daily driver, and is just as reliable my TJ was.

If you're truly serious about going from a TJ to a CJ as a daily driver, be very picky and focus on lower mileage, well taken care of, original or stock vehicles. Unfortunately however those type of CJ's can get a bit pricey. Take your time and choose wisely.
Renegade86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

If it were me, here's the way I would look at it:

If it's a daily driver and you have to depend on it to get you to work, etc, i'd stick with the TJ.

But if it's not your daily driver, a CJ can be pretty dang fun.

I have a 62 CJ5 and have a ball with it, but I have to admit, I don't think i'd want to HAVE to drive it every single day. I enjoy the hell out of it because I drive and work on it when I want, on my schedule. It keeps it more as a "toy".
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Wow, great advice above from Renedage86, I daily drove my 86 CJ Laredo for about 16 years and it was more reliable than my Toyota before it. BUT I too was very picky and got the most loaded and nicest one I could with only 40K on it and paid 8 grand at the time. It's over 200K now and Im doing a motor swap to fuel injection. and I just picked up an 03 Rubicon, but will still drive my CJ too. Don't buy someone's junk unless its a toy for you or you have big plans for it. Even at higher milage, find one well taken care of.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
CJ_Rick
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaallred View Post
If it were me, here's the way I would look at it:

If it's a daily driver and you have to depend on it to get you to work, etc, i'd stick with the TJ.

But if it's not your daily driver, a CJ can be pretty dang fun.

I have a 62 CJ5 and have a ball with it, but I have to admit, I don't think i'd want to HAVE to drive it every single day. I enjoy the hell out of it because I drive and work on it when I want, on my schedule. It keeps it more as a "toy".
Totally agree with the above, if it's a daily driver and you drive any real distance each day I'd have to go with the TJ. I commute 100 miles round trip each day and driving the CJ once in a while is fun but there's no way I would do it all year long.
78CJ5, 304, 4" BDS lift 1"body, Wide track axles, Powertrax noslip locker front & Detroit locker rear,4:56, 35s, Tera Low, Warn 9.5ti Winch, TKHFAB Rock Angles, Rock bumpers front & rear...
2012 JKU.
2012 JK, 2"lift, 32"BFG's, JCR Dagger stubby front bumper, Warn 9.5cti winch.
CJ_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
rckjeep
1977 CJ7 

I must have a damn good CJ , after reading all this. I have had mine for 10 years now, driven daily for 2.5 years, then for wheeling and sunny days. Wheeled it quite a bit over the last decade, been to the Rubicon a few times, Fordyce for clean ups and Hollister Hills hundreds of times. I've driven to the trail every time without issues. Recently, in the last few years, I've been driving it almost daily again and it's still not let me down(please don't jinx me). It's sprung over on 35's locked and loaded, holds my infant daughter and 5 year old boy and been a great Jeep. Saying all that, I'd love an equally built TJ with a heater. Oh to have a heater again.

My only questions is why did you post this in the tech forum? I see no tech what so ever

Last edited by rckjeep; 05-02-2010 at 11:21 AM..
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I have had several CJs... why in the world would any one even consider trading a TJ in and getting a CJ?

The TJ is much more civilized and off/on road capable and comes with fuel injection. Most stock CJs need to be significantly upgraded to run the same difficult trails as stock TJs.
I know CJs inside and out, and fix/upgrade my own.
Give me the more modern suspension and injection of what is likely the last great Jeep (2 doors and sometimes a tailgate) every time... a TJ.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.