Title and VIN Plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Title and VIN Plate

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 10-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Ironhorse6
1983 CJ7 

Title and VIN Plate

I've heard rumor that you can purchase a title and VIN plate from a scrapped jeep in order use on your own build to register.

is this true or legal?

Ironhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes.

As long as you are not trying to defraud anyone, evade motor vehicle taxes, or smog laws, in many states it is not illegal.

YMMV.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
CSP

It's illegal in Colorado and I would suspect that it IS illegal in most states without going through the proper procedures.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Can't say if it is legal or not, but I saw one yesterday on CL. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...665335275.html
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

WAY illegal in California..... that's prison time.....
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

The body numbers are suppose to match up to the frame numbers.
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Ironhorse6
1983 CJ7 

so what are you supposed to do if there are no frame numbers and your putting a glass tub on it?
Ironhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse6 View Post
so what are you supposed to do if there are no frame numbers and your putting a glass tub on it?
In California you're screwed. They changed the laws on that. What you have to do is take everything along with the receipts to the CHP, have it inspected, then it can be registered...... BUT, with the new law it'd be registered as a 2011 model and must comply to all current smog laws.
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

My jeep is registered as a self assembled vehicle. Im in Ohio. Wasn't a big deal insuring it either. the new vin even includes as part of the new number 77JEEP as basing it of the year it was built around parts wise.
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

My biggest fear of having it titled that was whether it would affect getting insurance. I talked to my Progressive agent before doing it and explained the situation and he submitted it to the underwriter to be clear and my rates are no different than if it was an original vin'd vehicle. i just set the value realistically on what it was worth to me and went from there. I have a new assigned vin plate attached at the back of the door opening and a tiny sticker that came with it in the bottom corner of windshield stating where the assigned vin plate is located
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
In California you're screwed. .
Redundant.
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

It's only illegal if you get caught. But seriously, check your local laws, and find out how and what they inspect.

Here in NJ they would never know. They don't check frame numbers or the VIN plate under the hood. When you register a car in NJ all you have is the title. As long as it is signed by PO its good. State inspection they look at the Dash VIN and Registration card. If you don't have a Dash VIN they will look at the VIN under the hood. If that matches the Registration your fine. Same if you were to get pulled over by PD.

Mine I have the original tile and VIN but I registered mine as Historic. They never even saw the Jeep in
person. Just a picture of the the front and side. So every state is different and most it will be illegal, but some are easier to get by then others. I'm sure there are lots of jeeps out there that have a different VIN then orginal and the current owners have on idea.

By no means an I telling you what to do, just check out local laws before you do anything.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
blank32132
1980 CJ7 

Im looking for a title for a cj7. or a cheap cj7 i could buy to use the title
blank32132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I cut the VIN/Build plate off the firewall off my steel tub, and then riveted to the 'glass tub. Ran some seam-sealer around the edges and Looks stock. I was even told by a PA Trooper that "I did a nice job!" Well, at least in that regard.
If I were you, buy the cheapest junker w/a title, haul it home, and try the same.
But hey I use my boat trailer on the CJ, No longer get the fleet of bikes inspected and swap plates. 2 plates for 6 Customs! Keeps ya in check!
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

They're making it harder and harder for us to title and register old vehicles, because the tree huggers want them off the road. "If uhhhhh you want your uhhhh CJ, you can keep it, uhhhh, I mean if you want your healthcare, uhhhh, you can uhhhhh keep it".

I'm so glad I'm moved out of California. I had a 1979 L-82 Corvette that my father-in-law bought new, when he was stationed in Hawaii. The St.Louis factory goofed and put a door from a L-48 on it......27 VIN's apart from my dash VIN (1Z8749S418330 [mine] vs 1Z8789S418303 [L-48])....the DMV in Monterey refused to register it, until I got CHP involved and showed them the VIN differentiation....how the hell can you get a car that is 27 digits off?????? The odds are astronomical. They finally agreed and registered it, but I went through hell to get it done.

Very pretty state, but I will NEVER live there again.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.