Title problem...help and advice requested - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Title problem...help and advice requested

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 05-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeese View Post
I met a guy, years ago, that had the same problem. He spent $200 and titled it in Mass, he lived in Md. Then used that title to register it in Md. He bought it from someone in Va, but going back 2-3 previous owners turned up nada. If the frame number shows up as stolen the authorities will confiscate the Jeep and return it to the guy That had it stolen.

A high profile car was just returned to the original owner, Director Quentin Tarantino's 1964 Chevelle Malibu was recovered in the San Francisco Bay area after being reported stolen in 1994.
When a vehicle is brought into Arizona from outside, it's physically inspected for matching VINs. I guess it varies by state, but they don't mess around here. Let's all hope this can be fixed. Fortunately he didn't spend incredible amounts of money, but still, he may be out through no fault of his own.

Unread 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot

When a vehicle is brought into Arizona from outside, it's physically inspected for matching VINs. I guess it varies by state, but they don't mess around here. Let's all hope this can be fixed. Fortunately he didn't spend incredible amounts of money, but still, he may be out through no fault of his own.
Well, IIRC he paid $900 for it at the auction. Although I wish that upon no one, its not a tremendous hit. Being that he bought it from a business, I'd say he has more in his favor than most would.

Hopefully the absent OP isn't out burning down said Jeep or business as we type......
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

It's more than that, he's been spending money repairing it.
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot
It's more than that, he's been spending money repairing it.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

Keep us updated and good luck!
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
John316
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the advice, folks. I am grateful. We will see how it goes tomorrow.

To date I have about 1K total into it. Haven't done much to it yet, which is really nice. I tried cleaning off the frame where the shocks mount and couldn't find anything else. There is nothing near the windshield that I can see. My guess is the tomorrow the Highway Patrol will be able to find if there is anything else there.

I know the PO and auctioneer. Anything that was done to this jeep was done many years ago. It has been through several paint jobs there. I will totally keep you all updated. It is loaded on my trailer ready to go tomorrow morning. As a side note, my trailer is heavier then the jeep itself. Usually whatever is on my trailer weighs more.....This is one of those times that I am glad I have a really nice flatbed. Really comes in handy.

I am just really glad I only have 1K into it right now. I shudder to think of dropping some serious coin on another vehicle and having this happen. You know someone will be a whole lot sharper after this.

Here's to hoping it goes well!

Thanks again,

John
John316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
John316
1976 CJ5 

Also, I did run the VIN, which says it is a 1980 CJ7. The wheelbase is totally a CJ5. However, I thought CJ5's didn't have four speeds, but this one does?
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #22
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316 View Post
thanks for the encouragement guys Now i am worried. I am glad for the help.

Here is a pic of the jeep.

any other thoughts or ideas? That is the last thing i need...fraud. Great. Everything looked so legit also.

Thanks again for the help.
thats a cj-5 no doubt about it!!!
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316
Also, I did run the VIN, which says it is a 1980 CJ7. The wheelbase is totally a CJ5. However, I thought CJ5's didn't have four speeds, but this one does?
It's probably from the 1980 CJ7 . Just kidding. The T-18, a 4 speed, was offered in CJ5s.

Seriously, hopefully all turns out well and you can get a new vin number for it. Good luck tomorrow!
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #24
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

My 1975 CJ-5 had a 304 w/4speed, my 1978 CJ-5 had a 304 w/4speed (I changed motors to the 401).. I bought them new, WITH 4 speed transmissions..
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
row684
1984 CJ7 

That sucks! Fingers crossed for you!
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Well let's all hope that neither VIN comes back stolen and the state has a solution such as a "Home Built" or "Salvage" VIN for you. Some do. Good Luck! (you're driving!)
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #27
RDH

Good luck!
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #28
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

In alabama if title doesnt match vin, its classified as stolen, if vechile doesnt have vin number, it doesnt exists, can never be put on road
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #29
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg
In alabama if title doesnt match vin, its classified as stolen, if vechile doesnt have vin number, it doesnt exists, can never be put on road
So no tub or frame swaps are allowed in AL?
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
John316
1976 CJ5 

So here is the skinny.

I was the first in line at the office, which was nice. The guy I worked with was really nice. He confiscated the VIN plate, since it didn't match the vehicle. Said that was illegal to own a vehicle with a wrong VIN on it, but he wouldn't arrest me. I said thanks.

Anyways, long story short, the correct serial number is in the RR tire well. It does NOT match the VIN tag that was on it. The jeep is a 1976 (77) CJ5 (that also explains a lot). I can't even get a new VIN for it, simply because there are no records of the old AMC's, so Kansas won't issue a new VIN, unless I go through the courts and get a quiet title.

I was bummed, but I still think I can get my money back.

I don't know if you all believe in miracles, but I dare you to tell me that this is anything short of one. This is way to crazy to make up.

As I was standing there talking to the trooper, another guy was standing there looking at the jeep. He asked a few random questions about the jeep, what the old color was, etc. Turns out, he is really confident he bought that jeep back in 87, and brought it out here from Colorado. He sold it to someone in my town in 03-04. He even said that his son put the skull and flame stickers on the side. I couldn't believe it. We might actually be able to find the original VIN from him, now. The trooper said he thought that would work out just fine.

Oh yes, I also called the PO, and he is easy to work with. He said he had no idea (and I believe him), so we will see what happens.

Thanks for all the help and advice, folks. I really appreciate it!

Cheers,

John

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.